Little Moments

Koda stood on the La Push beach, watching the waves crash against the rocks. Her mind was full of thoughts and worries. She knew Bella was too damn stubborn to heed her warning, which would cause problems with the Cullens. Then there was the problem with the nomads who kept getting closer to Forks. This could cause her friends on the reservation to shift and ruin any chance of them getting to live a life outside of this small town. Koda knew how scary the first change was, and even though she wasn't a shifter, she wanted to help her friends. She was happy that only males shifted, so Koda didn't have to worry about Leah going through that horrible experience. "Tiny?" Leah's sweet voice called out, pulling Koda from her thoughts. She looks to the right seeing Leah walking towards her with a worried look.

                    "Leah? What's wrong?" Koda asked as she turned towards her.

                   "I could ask the same question. I have been calling your name for a minute, but it's like you couldn't even hear me...what's got you so deep in your thoughts?" Leah asked as she stopped in front of Koda.

                    "I...," Koda spoke, then hesitated. She wanted to spill her guts to Leah and be free from the burden of lying to the one she loved, but she couldn't. "It's nothing really, just teen stuff. How are the wedding plans going?" Koda asked, ignoring the pang in her heart. Leah's face lights up, and for a brief moment, it's like nothing else matters to Koda. She walks with Leah across the beach, listening to her gush about the wedding and her dress. The moment felt bittersweet to Koda, like a scene by Edgar Allan Poe. Leah was her source of joy but also of pain and Sorrow.

                    The next day Bella stood in Forks high school parking lot in the exact spot of the accident. Behind her, on the lawn, several students congregate, gathering for a field trip. Mr. Molina walks towards the group.

                    "Make sure I get your permission slips," he said. Bella stares down at the skid marks on the pavement before her. The memory of Edith's face inches from hers as she stopped the van from killing her caused a blush to form on Bella's cheeks. She looks up just in time to see Edith arrive with Alice and Jasper. Bella watches her, barely noticing as Mike trots up to her like a love-sick puppy.

                    "Look! You're moving. You're alive!" he said playfully, catching Bella's attention.

                    "... Yeah, false alarm..," she said, not really interested in his attention.

                    "Actually, I'm glad you're not dead 'cause...well, that would suck, plus I wanted to ask you...even though it's, like, a month away...," Mike said, but Bella was distracted by Edith's smoldering gaze as she heads down the school steps with Jasper and Alice.

                    Bella quickly refocused on Mike, "So what do you think?" he asked, causing her to give him a confused look. "You want to go? To prom with me?" he asked in a hopeful tone. A glimpse of realization washes over Bella's face.

                   "Prom. As in dance. I, uh...have to go...somewhere....To Jacksonville. Yeah," she stuttered.

                   "You can't go another weekend?" Mike asked in confusion.

                   "Koda has been looking forward to it, plus it's a Non-refundable ticket. Maybe you should ask Jessica," Bella explained. Mike glances across the lawn at Jessica. She smiles at him when suddenly Edith crosses in front of Jessica. She seems to be smirking at something.