Chapter 6

"It's good to have you around again, even if it's only for a couple of days" Isshin said from where he sat beside me on the couch.

"Not like I had a choice" I sighed.

I didn't. After I had passed out, I was out for a couple of hours. Tessai had me stay bedridden for a day while he made sure I was fine, before I was basically kicked out of the shouten until the end of Ichigo's training. According to Tessai, it was for the sake of my mental health, and he basically ordered me to rest. If I didn't, then he'd made sure I wouldn't be going with Ichigo to Soul Society.

So no, I didn't have a choice in the matter. But after a couple of days of staying at Isshin's place, I had come to appreciate it. With me jumping back into training, and with the stress of Ichigo's almost hollowfication, my body was a wreck and was in desperate need of rest. Although I'm upset I can't continue training, Urahara did did promise me some training between the end of Ichigo's training and the day that we'd be leaving.

"According to Urahara, it was a bad one"

"It was" I couldn't deny that. "I hadn't had one that bad since I learned of Kaien's death" I noticed Isshin look at me oddly, and I frowned at him. "What?"

"I haven't heard you say his name in a long time"

Oh. I guess he was right. Saying Kaien's name usually came with some pain, so I just stopped saying it. I suppose that's why I never noticed that it didn't give me the same reaction anymore. It had been over thirty years after all, so the pain of his loss must have dulled. The sadness is still there, though.

"It just slipped out" I shrugged.

"How do you feel?"

"Honestly? I feel..  fine. It doesn't hurt anymore. I still miss him, but it doesn't hurt"

"The pain doesn't go away. It just gets easier to manage"

"I suppose... "

"The two of you were always close"

"That's what happens when you're raised together" I chuckled softly. "No offense Isshi-nii, but Kaien felt more like a brother to me than you did"

"That makes since. I was already a seated officer when you were born, so we didn't have the opportunity to spend alot of time together. That has always been one of my biggest regrets, you know"

"Don't worry about it" I smiled at him. "I'm pretty sure we definitely made up for that time"

"Still, I would have liked to see you grow up"

"Well, imagine it alot like Yuzu. She isn't that much different than what I was"

"Did you need me, Aunt Enka?" It was Yuzu, probably summoned from the mention of her name, coming down from the second floor"

"Well, not originally. But now that you're here, how about all of us go out to the park?" Chalk it up to talking about Kaien, but I suddenly wanted to spend as much quality time with my family as I could.

"To the park?" Yuzu was always pretty open with her emotions, and her voice definitely showed her excitement at the idea.

"Yeah! We can have a picnic, play some family soccer.."

"That sounds like a great idea" Isshin grinned.

"I'll go get Karin!" Yuzu almost skipped up the stairs to find her twin.

"So that was what you were like?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Oh yeah"

By the end of the day, I definitely felt that being kicked out of the shouten was the best decision Tessai made for me. Making lunch with Yuzu, picnicking in the park, playing soccer with Karin, just spending time with my family... it was exactly what I needed after what happened. And it definitely strengthened my resolve to go to Soul Society.

I wouldn't let this family experience another tragedy.

•°•°•°•°•°

August 1st arrived before I knew it, and Ichigo finally ended his training. It was the first time I had seen him since I was kicked out, and I couldn't help but cling to him for a while. Surprisingly, he didn't complain too much. Probably because the last time he had seen me, was when I passed out.

I had only parted from him because of the festival tonight, and Yuzu and Karin wanted me to go kimono shopping with them. I had to admit, it was nice to have a normal experience again.

We found the perfect kimonos, while the girls went with something more plain, I decided to dress up a bit. I chose a black kimono with a multicolored fireworks pattern, very similar to the one that Baku wore. Fireworks were the specialty of the Shiba, and I guess I was feeling sentimental again.

I helped the girls get ready, and knowing that they'll probably be alot more rambunctious than me, I helped them with a tasuki to keep their sleeves out of the way. In return, they helped me with my own kimono that was a bit more complicated than their own. Looking at myself in the mirror, I, for the first time in a long time, thought I looked beautiful. Even with the eyepatch, which had admittedly been a bit of a insecurity of mine.

Since Isshin had gone out to claim a nice place to watch the fireworks rather early, something I thought was rather unnecessary, I was in charge of the girls. Reaching the festival area, I led the girls through the vendors. It was nice seeing the girls so happy, even the usually serious Karin was enjoying herself.

Eventually we met up with Isshin, and by then I had become very familiar with the vendor that 'accidentally' diluted his fruit juice with sake instead of water. It didn't take Isshin long before he joined me in my drinking. Even though I was ahead of him, I was much more use to sake than he was, and it didn't take him long to become more liberal.

By the time it was actually time for the fireworks, we had met up with Ichigo and his friends and had found Isshin's prime fireworks watching space. I had to admit, it was a good spot, right beside the river with nothing in the way. With Ichigo watching over the girls, Isshin and I found ourselves alone enough to talk.

"Are you sure about this?" He sounded more sober than he had previously.

I knew exactly what he was talking about. It wasn't the first time he had asked this, and he wasn't about to get a different answer.

"I'm sure, Isshi-nii. I've had enough time to think about it, and I'm ready to do this"

He nodded his head. "When are you leaving?"

"Urahara says the gate should be ready in a week"

"No, when are you leaving?" He emphasized the you.

".. tomorrow morning. I have to continue training. I can't go back rusty"

He nodded his head in acceptance, and before I could react, he pulled me into a tight hug. I immediately returned it, burying my face into his chest. I could just barely hear him speak.

"Please stay safe..."

I almost didn't want the night to end. I had spend the last week pretending to be normal again, and this would be the last time I would be able to do that for a long time.

But it did end, far too soon for my liking. We went home some time after twelve, and Ichigo was carrying his sleeping sisters on his back. Isshin was definitely far too drunk to do that, and I was too lazy admittedly. I had taken a bottle of that nice juice with me, even if just as an excuse. Honestly, though, I myself may have been too drunk to carry them. I use to be a big drinker back in the, with him, but since then I've slowed down alot.

Eventually reaching the house, I helped Ichigo get the girls inside and up to their room. There I was able to help him get them into bed, and tuck them in with a kiss. I lingered a bit, taking them in for a while. I didn't know how long we'd be in Soul Society, and I didn't know if I would even be able to come back, so I wanted to imprint their faces in my memories as well as I could.

"Goodbye girls. Be good for your dad, okay?" A part of me hoped they would hear me, especially since I'd be gone tomorrow morning before they woke up. "I'll try to come back. But if I don't..  know that I love you more than anything"

Giving them both a final forehead kiss, I left their rooms and went to my bed on the couch. Due to the alcohol, I managed to fall asleep pretty soon. I also woke up pretty easily, and before the sun even rose, I was already down in the training grounds beneath Urahara's shop to start my week long training.