Chapter 10

The following day we found ourselves on the outer edge of Rukongai, heading to where the elder they met the day before's map said Kukaku would be. Kukaku... How long had it been? Thirty some years? At least that, since I last saw her. While Ganju was still young, Kukaku would recognize me, and the thought made me nervous.

I nearly tripped when I felt something move against my leg, and I looked down with an annoyed glare, seeing only Yoruichi. "There are better ways to get someone's attention"

"I called your name" she said, amusement clear in her voice.

"Sure, whatever you say" I shrugged. "What did you need?"

"I wanted to see how you were doing?"

"I'm fine" I wasn't, but I didn't want to have people worry.

"It's been a long time since you saw Kukaku"

"I know"

"Kurosaki-san, you know Kukaku?" Ishida asked, causing everyone to look at me.

"Maybe"

"You know alot of people in Soul Society for someone from the human world" I narrowed my eyes at his tone.

"I never claimed to be human, now did I?"

Everyone was quiet for a couple of seconds, probably thinking that over. Despite living in the human world for twenty years, I never once claimed to be a human, even after their powers started developing. I wasn't going to claim to be something I wasn't.

"What are you then, Aunt Enka?" Ichigo's intense eyes met mine.

"Isn't it obvious?" I patted my zanpakuto, feeling her buzz in annoyance. "I'm a shinigami"

"What about-"

"I told you, your dad isn't a shinigami" Now, that wasn't always the truth. But currently it was.

"Then how-"

"That's a long story, kid. One we really don't have time for. I'll tell you about it someday"

"Promise?"

"Of course"

Ichigo nodded his head, and we continued walking, with Ishida with the map taking lead. Inoue slowed a bit, until she was walking beside me.

"About Kukaku... what is he like?"

I thought back to their discussion earlier this morning, and couldn't help but snort in amusement. Their composition of a hermit-like macho samurai with cat ears and a tail was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time, I had to admit.

"Well.. I guess you'll have to see"

"Can't you tell us something about him?"

I spared her a glance, and nearly tripped at the wide eyed stare she was giving me. Ichigo didn't deserve a cutie like this, I swear.

"S-sorry, Inoue. I think it would be funnier for you to see for yourself"

"How long until we reach his house?" Ichigo grumbled.

"Apparently Kukaku moves alot, so knowing the precise location of the house isn't that easy to find. You should be able to recognise it easily, though. Kukaku has.. unique taste" That was an understatement. "Yoruichi has probably seen the most recent versions, so he'll be the best shot at finding it"

"When was the last time you were here?" Inquired Ichigo.

"Ah... a while. Not since before you were born"

"Eh?! That long?!"

"I had more important things to worry about than Soul Society" I shrugged

"Kurosaki-san, if you're a shinigami, why don't you dress like one?" Ishida glanced in my direction.