Chapter 13

20> Years Ago

20> Years Ago

"How do you even put up with him?!" Rangiku cried out from her position behind the paperwork on top of her desk. Isshin's paperwork, a month of it at least.

As for why it was with her, Isshin had disappeared for the day. I wouldn't be surprised if he had snuck off to laze away with Shunsui. While it was nice that the two of them got along so well, it did cause our poor lieutenant way too much stress.

"Well, I've known him since I was born. So, practice I guess" I shrugged, smothering an amused smile as I worked on paperwork of my own. Technically not my own, but someone had to help Rangiku and not only was our captain missing, but so was the third seat. That left me next in line to be harassed into helping.

"You don't need to do this, you know. You could just let him take the fall for it" I reminded her.

"If he falls, it reflects badly on all of us" She frowned.

"True" I continued going over a piece of paper, noting some concerning things happening in Naruki City. I'll have to make sure that gets to Isshin as soon as he gets back. "But maybe you should just do the work instead of nagging him to do it, until it gets too much and we have no choice but to pull overnighters to get them finished"

"I'm sure I'll get through to him eventually"

"Rangiku" I gave her a deadpan stare. "How long have you been his lieutenant? A decade or two, right?"

"About that, yes"

"And have you ever gotten through to him in all that time?"

".. No"

"Exactly. Shiba men are thick headed. The only way they'll learn is if they experience consequences"

"Even if it makes us look bad?"

"You just do your work, and your reputation will be fine" I shrugged.

"Well in that case!" Rangiku pushed the stacks off paperwork off the table and onto the floor, making me wince. I would be the one cleaning that up. Rangiku then proceeded to fold her arms and put her arms on them.

Leaving me to continue doing her work.

I shook my head at her and chuckled under my breath. Rangiku liked to complain that Isshin was lazy, but the woman was equally as lazy as the Captain. Both of them were equally in denial about that fact, and it was amusing. They'd be perfect for each other, maybe with some nudging I could have a new sister-in-law...

"What are you daydreaming about?"

"Shit!" I jumped slightly and looked towards the white haired kid that spoke. "Kami, Toushiro. You need to stop being so quiet"

He just shrugged me off and held out an envelope. "Captain Kyoraku asked me to give this to you"

"He did?" I blinked as I took the envelope. Toushiro tended to visit home in the 1st district. The 8th wasn't near the West gate, that meant they were hiding at the 13th. Of course Shunsui would drag Jushiro into their laziness. "Did you happen to see our captain?"