Chapter 9

"Great.. " I murmured softly as I wandered through the streets of Squad 13's district. It was my first day as an official shinigami, and I had already gotten lost. This definitely wasn't going to leave a great impression. "They should have given me a map or something!"

"I'm pretty sure I did"

I let out a squeak before I spun around to face whoever had spoken behind me, and I found Kaien doubled over and laughing.

"What's so funny?!" I snapped, glaring as I crossed my arms.

"T-that noise you made!" He managed to answer between laughs. "You sounded like a mouse!"

"I did not!" I huffed. "And why were you sneaking up behind me anyway? Were you trying to scare me?!"

"I thought you'd be able to sense me" His laughter had slowly subsided, now he was just grinning at me. "You're a shinigami now, kid. And being to sense someone else's reiatsu should be a piece of cake"

"Not when they're hiding it to sneak up on someone. And who are you calling kid? I'm your aunt! You should be respecting me"

"But I'm still older than you, so really you should be respecting your elders"

"You're only a couple of months older than me, Kaien. And I'm still your father's sister, and you shouldn't be so mean to me"

"Nah, you're more like a bratty little sister" He grinned before he put his hand on my head and ruffled my hair. I slapped his hand away. "Look at you, you're even shorter than me"

"Quit rubbing your height in my face" I scoffed and corrected my ponytail. "I'm not even short. Hell, I'm taller than the average woman!" I literally was just under his eye level!

"You're still shorter than me" He went to pinch my cheek, but I quickly stopped his hand. I huffed and stuck my tongue out at him, before I turned on my heel before heading back in the direction I was going in. "Hey, where are you going?!"

"To the barracks, of course!"

"You're going the wrong way, idiot!"

•°•°•°•°•°

"Lost in thought?"

Yoruichi found me on top of the house we were staying in, where I was leaning back and staring over at the walled Seireitei. I briefly glanced at her.

"Remembering"

"You were in the thirteenth, weren't you?"

I nodded my head... "for..  eighty years, I think. Before I transferred to the tenth"

"It must be hard" Yoruichi said sympathetically, and I just shrugged.

"It was. But I got over it. It was my choice fo leave, after all"

I say that, but I was hurting. Every time I look over towards Seireitei, I feel a twinge of pain. Of regret. I didn't regret leaving to find Isshin, but I did regret leaving everyone behind. Even Jidanbō, who I had caught up with when Inoue had healed him from Ichimaru's attack.

"It being your choice doesn't mean you can't feel hurt over it"

I stayed quiet, I couldn't really think of an answer to that. But luckily I didn't need to, as soon I could hear Ichigo yell out for me. I sighed and stood up, dusting off my pants before stretching out my arms.

"I guess it's time for a plan of action"

Yoruichi casually jumped into my arms, and I just managed to catch her with a slight glare. "You just like using this form to be carried around, don't you?" But Yoruichi didn't say anything, just started purring. I sighed before I went over to the edge of the roof and jumped off. I landed casually on the ground, scaring Ichigo had been searching for me on the ground.