Chapter 4 - The maze

The dark-skinned boy grabbed y/n by the neck. The black-haired boy held her around her shoulders. Y/n screamed but a hand clamped around her mouth.

She struggled and struggled. Her vision was growing darker.

Then it all went blank.

Y/n gasped for breath, sitting up and grabbing the edge of her hammock. Minho was looking at her with concern. He placed his hand on her shoulder and steadied her fidgeting movements. Y/n's eyes grew from panicked to relieved.

"Just a nightmare" she mumbled to herself.

Her legs were shaking when she stood up. It was dark outside and the candle on the floor was the only source of light. Minhos hand was still on her shoulder.

He leaned downwards and looked into her eyes. Y/n nodded, indicating that she was alright. This nightmare had been worse than the others for y/n. She didn't even feel the usual butterflies under Minhos gaze, only slight terror knowing that that same face had helped get her killed in the dream.

Barely satisfied with y/ns answer, Minho still let go of her. He exited the wooden stack they'd started to call homestead. Y/n picked up the travel bag she had packed the previous day and hurried after Minho. Jack was already standing at the entrance of the maze, waiting for it to open.

"Newt knows?" Y/n asked Minho as they jogged across the grass.

"Course..." Minho slowed down to a walk and pulled something from his pocket. "Take this"

Y/n extended her hand and Minho revealed a short knife. She gasped a bit. The reality of them possibly having to use weapons in the maze hit her like a concrete wall.

She took the knife with shaking hands, her fingers swiping along Minhos for just a moment. Y/n pretended that she didnt notice but in reality she got that annoying fluttering feeling again.

She placed the weapon under her belt. Minho smiled a bit, then gestured that he had something to defend himself with as well, a similiar knife.

Minho offered to carry the backpack y/n had packed but she declined. Making her crush carry this heavy thing? Definitely no. Minho sighed, insisting that he would at least carry it on their way back.

The duo approached Jack just as the maze doors rumbled open. They covered their ears, exchanging tired gazes with each other. As soon as the doors were fully open Jack was already inside with a bounce in his step. Minho followed eagerly.

Y/n wasn't as excited, and she took a moment to take in the view of the Glade. The boys were wandering around already, having woken up from the racket. Y/n smiled, seeing all the work they had done to the area since they had arrived.

She was so proud of it. All they had built. She loved this place. But then Minho yelled for her and she was snapped from her daze. Y/n waved at Newt who was gazing their way. He raised his hand to return the gesture but y/n had already run off.

Keeping to their idea of taking only left turns, Jack, Minho, and y/n jogged, then walked for a while. They rarely talked. Admiring the vine covered walls and seemingly endless passages of identical stone walls. Luckily Jack was short like y/n, so Minho having to slow down his pace wasn't only her fault.

Eventually y/n grew hungry and she quickly grabbed an apple from her bag for breakfeast. Because of the lack of conversation her most recent nightmare began playing thruogh her mind.

The two boys she had arrived here with, attempting to kill her. It was her worst fear. The muscles she felt under Minho's shirt when hugging him instead holding her back while the kind giant she had come to love squeezed her neck.