Chapter 12 - Friend

Y/n promised herself she would never forgive Alby and the gladers for what they did.

She still spoke with the boys, laughed at their occasional jokes and pushed them around. But there was a barrier between y/n and them. A painfully obvious one. Only a disagreement, yes, but one about a human life.

Minho was out running as usual, and y/n was in the garden. She was alone this time, the other workers in the garden having gone to secretly steal some candy from frypan's kitchen. They had promised to bring y/n some but she laughed, doubting that they wouldn't be caught by frypan.

The heist, as she had predicted, failed. But at lunch Frypan gave y/n some grape flavored sweets. He had always had a soft spot for the girl, especially with the large bandaid on her forehead, slightly pale face and heavier limp.

Minho returned with the shocking news of finding a dead griever in a close by maze corridor. He seemed shaken and y/n made a note to hold his hand tightly for the rest of the day.

They had been cuddling together almost every night for the latest few weeks. Allot had been happening and their nightmares were coming more often.

Y/n noticed a correlation between the frequency of her nightmares and pain levels of her bad leg. Whatever it meant, it sucked.

She hated to admit it, but y/n was starting to get desperate. Escape seemed so far away. They tried to keep up hope but two years of that was tiring. Y/n used to find something inspiring in the greenie's energy and determination towards escape efforts, but now it was the very thing that dampened her day.

She truly tried to be positive, and optimistic... but she could barely hold in a hopeless comment about their extinction and doom whenever someone mentioned trying to get out of the Glade.

So when Minho brought even such small news of a dead griever she was excited. It wasn't too far into the maze so she planned to tag along with Alby to check the situation out.

Minho resisted but eventually gave in. Y/n wanted to come. She was capable enough and had the support of the two boys if needed. Minho coudn't deny that and think of his girlfriend as some weak piece of glass with no curiosity.

So in the morning he woke her up with a slight shake and kiss on the lips. They hugged and y/n quickly got changed, brushing her hair and smoothing Minho's fluffy hair down.

Y/n didn't like the idea of spending such personal time with Alby after what he had done. To y/n he was the main offender. They had spoken a few times... but they hadn't been able to maintain their previous friendship after Ben's death. No, murder.

So y/n stuck with Minho while they walked, leaving Alby to walk behind them alone. She felt bad... but then caught herself. He deserved it, right?

Y/n didn't exactly have the greatest memories in the maze. It was a completely different sector of the place then the one Jack had been killed in... but the walls were identical. The vines were the same plant. The dust and rock patterns were recognizable.

Sometimes she wondered how Minho handled running around these walls almost daily.

After a while of silence accented with echoing footsteps, a voice pierced the air.

"Are you still mad?" Alby asked, taking a few running steps and falling into pace next to y/n and Minho.

Y/n looked at her boyfriend for a moment. She sure hadn't expected that sort of question. And now she dreaded saying something wrong.

"I... don't know" y/n tried to make it seem like she was still thinking, but in reality she knew exactly what she could've said.

Y/n was most definitely still mad at Alby.