Chapter 14 - Survival

*Minho's POV*

The moving wall closed with a bang. The last Minho saw of his girlfriend was her outrsetched hand and desperate expression.

Then she was gone.

Minho punched the wall with a yell but it didn't carry over the wall for it to be heard by y/n. It was deathly silent.

His knuckles were bloodied. He punched the wall more. Thomas grabbed his arms and pulled him back. Minho began to cry. He fell against the wall and sobbed.

He had left her alone. To die.

"Dude it wasn't your fault!" Thomas shook Minho's shoulder with force and tried to get him to stand.

There was more distant rumbling. Minho's head snapped up and he leaped to his feet. He turned to the side to grab y/n's arm and help her up-

It was just him and Thomas.

"She'll be alright Minho. She's strong" Thomas did his best to comfort his friend but the words seemed meaningless.

"Her leg... Thomas, the grievers. I left her alone and-"

"We'll find her" Thomas promised.

Minho straightened his posture. He shook his legs a bit and bounced on his feet. Just like every morning when he was getting ready to run the maze. Y/n would kiss him goodbye...

If only she could now. Because their time was running out. Minho looked around, pushing past Thomas and trying to picture the sequence of the maze in his mind.

The maps. The drawings... he had done this for more than a year. He could piece it together. For y/n.

"We were in section 7. And..." Minho didn't care to explain anything to Thomas, knowing it would take hours.

And Thomas simply followed him. They jogged quite quickly. Sometimes they would wait for the maze to move and reveal turns that Minho remembered were supposed to be there. He hated waiting. Every moment in his thoughts was full of his last interaction with y/n.

Desperate screams and no goodbye.

They encountered another griever but were able to use the same technique as y/n had to get it killed. But this time Thomas got nicked in the arm and they had to halt for a moment to stop the bleeding.

Minho wouldn't let himself think about what could be happening to y/n. He thought about their happy moments. The softness of her lips. Her cute smile. The joy in his heart every time she fell asleep in his arms.

His reminiscing was interrupted by a loud grinding of the wall next to him moving. Thomas and him quickened their pace, entering a large clearing.

Minho had always wondered what the maze looked like while rearranging. He wished he would had never had to experience it. This was absolutely terrible.

A wall nearly crushed him from above and he rolled, his foot slamming into the wall and almost getting flattened.

But maybe the night here was for the best. Because they came across something they had never seen before. They had circled back to where a griever was still grossly squished to a pancake in between walls. Its leg twitched as they approached it.

What they hadn't noticed the first time, was a small metal cylinder on the ground. It had a yellow badge and gooey wires sticking out from it. A part of the griever most definitely.