Chapter 17 - Hole

The terror felt much more real the second night.

Even though the hammocks and mattresses were organized so that every glader would have space to sleep, no one did. They were pressed into the corners of the first and second floor of homestead.

Y/n had probably never been so close to Minho. She could feel his hot breath on her scalp and felt his chest rise and fall against her back. She gripped his shirt and every attempt to relax was in vain. Every small sound of some shifting positions had her eyes wide and body ready to run.

Then they heard the roaring. Echoing in the maze walls, resulting in a horrifyingly disorted sound. Every time the griever roared it was closer. Y/n flinched harder. The gladers gasped louder.

The roaring was paired with scraping and ominous scratching noises. Y/n held her breath and tears filled her eyes. Newt had his eyes squeezed shut. Winston cursed quietly but someone covered his mouth.

The hole in the wall grew dark. Its slight grey light was replaced by two red glowing dots. A quiet growl.

Then the griever started to climb. Y/n glanced up, knowing how terrified the boys upstairs must be feeling. Gally stood up next to her but the boys protested.

Minho and y/n stood up as well anyways. She grabbed a nearby spear and ttied to signal Gally, staring at the back of his head and he finally turned around.

The griever was almost out of their reach. It was quiet, splintering the wood but leaving its habit of frequent roars behind.

Y/n tossed the spear to Gally and stayed in place, trying not to make the floorboards creak. Gally caught the sharp pole and breathed with relief.

Gally positioned himslef right by the wall. He lurched to the side to avoid a claw that punctured the wood, then thrust the spear straight towards the grievers shadow.

He missed by just an inch. The griever roared and dissapeared higher. Y/n rushed out of the way of the stairs and Newt bravely ran up them.

Screaming and desperate sounding shouts. Roars. Yells... of pain. It was Newt. Y/n saw a grievers shadow thruogh the window behind her, it had someone in tow.

Y/n rushed up the stairs. She pushed the door open with a gasp and saw Newt on the floor, gladers huddled around him. He was groaning, his head covered in blood.

But before y/n could go and comfort him she heard shouts outside. This had happened to many times. But this fateful night it was different. They were shouting her boyfriend's name.

Y/n had never run so fast in her life. Her bad leg was aching in seconds but she pushed thruogh. Leaping down the stairs, slamming the door open and on the grass in seconds.

Minho was running after the griever. A body had been left behind by the monster. Frypan was chasing Minho but there was no end to the runners running in sight.

Y/n pushed past Winston who had slowed down to help the injured glader. The griever had dissapeared into the maze but her focus was on Minho. He dissapeared into the walls aswell, following the monster. But y/n kept on going.

She ran into the stone passages with no hesitation. The harder ground painful. She saw a flash of Minho leg turning to the right. She heard her name being yelled behind her.

"Minho!" Y/n shouted, but her voice broke into a sob.

Y/n fell but caught herself with her arms and pushed forward. She turned and coudn't see Minho. The reality of the situation hit her. Minho knew his way around the maze, y/n didn't.

But for whatever reason he was running it now, y/n would follow him. She stumbled around a corner, the glade completely out of view and the darkness overwhelming-