3.maladaptive daydreaming

Maladaptive daydreaming is most common in people with conditions that affect their mental health or certain types of brain functions. The conditions that are common with maladaptive daydreaming are:
•Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (adhd)
•Anxiety disorders
•Certain types of depression
•Dissociative disorders
•Obsessive-compulsive disorder (ocd)

Some research suggests it's more common in younger people, especially young adults and teenagers, and that it can also happen to children.

Many people who experience maladaptive daydreaming have a history of abuse or trauma, especially during childhood. However, this isn't something that all people with maladaptive daydreaming have.

A study estimated that maladaptive daydreaming affects about 20% of adults with ADHD. That would mean it affects at least 2.2 million adults in the United States, and that number doesn't account for people who have it but don't have ADHD.

Daydreaming behavior
The kind of daydreams that happen with maladaptive daydreaming often involve the following:

-Intensity. These daydreams are extremely vivid and detailed, much more so than a standard daydream.
-Complexity. These daydreams often have elaborate plots, and many people have characters they imagine repeatedly, much like characters in a TV show.
-Duration. People who daydream this way can do so for long periods, even hours at a time.
-Intent. People who do this often can start daydreaming intentionally.
-Disconnection from what's happening around them. People who have this can daydream so strongly that they disconnect from the world around them. This is similar to dissociation, a defense or coping mechanism for people with severe anxiety, depression, or a history of abuse or trauma.

How a person feels about their maladaptive daydreaming
People who experience maladaptive daydreaming frequently struggle with negative feelings and the effects from this issue. That often takes the following forms:

-Disruption in social activities. People who have maladaptive daydreaming often choose to daydream rather than spend time with others.
-Interference in work, hobbies and other pursuits. Maladaptive daydreaming can cause problems with work, studying or reaching other goals a person sets for themselves.
-Feelings of shame and guilt. People who experience maladaptive daydreaming commonly feel bad about doing it, especially when it interferes with other parts of their life.
-Compulsively daydreaming. This means that people will feel the need to have maladaptive daydreams. If they don't have the chance to do so, they may feel upset that they missed the opportunity to do it. Some research shows that the need to daydream may be similar to an addiction.
-Attempts to stop or daydream less. People who have maladaptive daydreaming often struggle to daydream less or stop altogether
————————————————————————
You need to remember that there's a difference between daydreaming and maladaptive daydreaming. People with this disorder can daydreaming for hours,weeks or even years.
Some people with this disorder need help to remember what's real and what isn't.
Some of them need therapy only to remember what isn't a dream.