26. Dependent Personality Disorder

Dependent personality disorder (DPD) is a type of anxious personality disorder. People with DPD often feel helpless, submissive or incapable of taking care of themselves. They may have trouble making simple decisions. But, with help, someone with a dependent personality can learn self-confidence and self-reliance. Mental health experts describe personality as a person's way of thinking, feeling and behaving. A personality disorder affects the way people think or act, making them behave differently over time. Dependent personality disorder usually starts during childhood or by the age of 29. People with DPD have an overwhelming need to have others take care of them. Often, a person with DPD relies on people close to them for their emotional or physical needs. Others may describe them as needy or clingy. People with DPD may believe they can't take care of themselves. They may have trouble making everyday decisions, such as what to wear, without others' reassurance.
Statistics show that roughly 10% of adults have a personality disorder. Less than 1% of adults meet the criteria for DPD. More women than men tend to have DPD.

Someone with dependent personality disorder may have several symptoms, including:
•Avoidance of personal responsibility.
•Difficulty being alone.
•Fear of abandonment and a sense of helplessness when relationships end.
•Oversensitivity to criticism.
•Pessimism and lack of self-confidence.
•Trouble making everyday decisions. 
————————————————————————
Mental health experts haven't figured out what causes DPD. They believe it results from a mix of genetics, environment and development.
Abusive relationships, childhood trauma, it may also affect people who experienced a life-threatening illness during childhood, family history someone with a family member who has DPD or another anxiety disorder may be more likely to have a DPD diagnosis