05. garden of secrets

[05]
"even the vines of trees are entangled like mad lovers."

ALENA HAD BEEN rescued out of confinement, just to be put back into it

ALENA HAD BEEN rescued out of confinement, just to be put back into it. For the peaky blinders were keeping her in a house Tommy owned near the Shelby betting shop. Only for the time being. No one would suspect a Russian duchess of high ranking to be in Birmingham of all places— it kept her safe— for now.

However, Alena didn't feel safe. Not at all. Not after being kidnapped, she didn't trust anyone.

"Right! I'm not going back there! She kicked me in the bloody balls!" Arthur slams the door shut behind him, locking it hastily.

John laughs, watching Arthur in pain. "I mean she did us a favour, we don't need anymore Arthur's runnin' about."

Before Arthur can even respond, loud bangs echo from the door behind him. Alena was twisting the door handle frantically and yelling all sorts of words in Russian that didn't sound pleasant at all.

Tommy walks up the stairs, he adjusts his peaky cap before looking around. "What's going on, boys?"

"That duchess is like a wild fucking animal, Tom." John starts. "She doesn't trust us, she'll end up escaping and the Russians will have our heads."

Tommy shakes his head, staring at his brothers blankly. "You men have fought wars, mobs, gangsters, and you're telling me you can't control a duchess?"

Arthur looks up, still in pain. "But Tommy, she kicked me in the—"

"Shut up, Arthur. Give me the keys." Tommy orders.

Once he had the keys in his hand, he begins to unlock the door slowly.

The room was quiet. Awfully quiet. Too quiet for Tommy's liking. Alena was loud and rampant just seconds ago, and now, everything was still. The gangster steps in, looking around further. Furniture intact, fireplace burning and the bed was still neatly arranged. Yet no signs of a duchess.

Suddenly, the force of a round object abruptly hits the back of Tommy's neck. He quickly turns around to see Alena, stood in the corner of the room near a fruit bowl with her arms crossed and an orange in her hand.

"Did you just throw a fucking orange at me?"

"Yes, yes I did." Alena answers proudly.

"Why?" Tommy asks, a little confused as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-I don't know!" She responds, exasperated. "But I'll do it again if you don't let me leave!"