17. a baby, thomas

[17]
"old flames, new sparks."

THE QUIET OF the morning, the calm before the storm

THE QUIET OF the morning, the calm before the storm. Tommy had found the peace in silence when he was around her. No bombs, no explosions, no wars.

A comforting silence.

Slowly, he turns over to the sleeping duchess, whose eyelashes fluttered as she snored quietly.

He liked admiring her more when she wasn't aware of it. He wondered what her first thoughts would be when she woke up, and what she was dreaming about in that head of hers.

Tommy never thought he'd find himself like this— being soft. He always had a hard exterior, and a ruthless conscious. There was not a man he feared on this earth, but he feared himself right now more than anything.

He was falling for her, and he knew if he gave his heart to this girl, he'd never get it back.

"What are you thinking about?" Alena rubs her eyes, still tangled in the sheets next to him.

She was awake. Well, waking up.

"Nothing really, just woke up myself not too long ago." Tommy mutters, reaching for the pack of cigarettes on the bed side table.

She sits up. "For a minute, I thought you were watching me in my sleep and falling in love with me."

Tommy freezes, he was just about to put the cigarette between his lips.

"Only joking." She says, nudging him.

Tommy chuckles a little nervously, and resumes smoking his cigarette. "I wouldn't do that." He lies, a very obvious but somewhat believable lie.

"Am I that ugly in my sleep?" Alena was pretending to be outraged, but she couldn't help the amusement on her face. "I know I snore and take up unnecessary space but, luckily for you, you're stuck with me forever."

Tommy liked the sound of that.

"You know, because of the whole marriage thing." She finishes.

"Shit. Should I shoot myself now? Put myself out of my misery?" Tommy asks, smiling just a little bit.

Alena laughs. "I mean, you've had plenty of practise on other people. Should be quite easy for you."

The gangster grins, shaking his head and smoking his cigarette. That shouldn't have been funny, but it was.

"I've got a family meeting this morning. The usual shit. I was thinking, next meeting, you should be there." Tommy offers.