14. a gangster's bride

[14]
"I do."

IT IS NOT like most fairytales, it is not everyday an elegant duchess is to wed a violent gangster, from the even more violent streets of Small Heath.

Yet on this quiet spring morning, the bells of St Margaret's Church were ringing just for them, and the clouds had parted ways, letting the sun glow onto the stoney steps at the entrance.

But Tommy Shelby wasn't at the alter.

The gangster was leant against the bonnet of his glossy black car that was parked on the street opposite. His icy blue eyes watched glamorous people stroll through the majestic gates, in top hats and fur, diamonds and dresses. Things like this didn't happen in Birmingham so often. Locals were eagerly peeking over the walls, just to get a glimpse at the wedding of the century.

Tommy grips onto his cigarette, taking a deep breath before looking up above.

Today would be his last day as an unmarried man.

As a man with no woman to share his last name with, or perhaps, a life with. However, this wasn't exactly a marriage based on hopeless love written by poets or Shakespeare, it was purely business — fictional in a way.

"Tom!" Arthur calls from across the street. "It's nearly time!" The eldest Shelby stood firmly in a sharp black suit, smiling widely.

Tommy nods, chucking away his final cigarette and straightening out his suit.

There was no turning back.

"For a second I thought you did a runner!" Arthur jokes, patting Tommy on the back. "Also, erm, John's already licked a bit of icing off the fucking cake with his finger."

"Classic John." Tommy mutters, as they walk together.

"Thomas!" Polly stood at the top of the church steps with her arms folded, she was dressed in a timeless dark purple dress with pearls. "Only you could be late to your own bloody wedding!"

"Why aren't you sat down yourself?" Tommy questions.

"Because the wedding can go on without me, but it can't go on without the groom." Polly defends, she takes a moment to look at her nephew deeply. "What on earth is going on?"

Then it hits her out of nowhere— Tommy was nervous. Like, actually nervous.

This was a man that didn't fear anything, not even the haunting face of death. But then here he was, tangled in so many thoughts. Maybe because he had fallen for her. Maybe because this wasn't a meaningless marriage anymore, and that scared him. It wasn't just about getting information, and business.

"He's alright, Pol. He's here now." Arthur answers whilst fixing the white rose attached to Tommy's lapel. "Let's go in and get you married, eh?"

Tommy takes a deep breath, nodding. "Hurry up, guys." He mumbles, overtaking them and walking into the church.

He was ready. He had to be. It was now or never.

•••

It was as if heaven had written her, and the stars had perfected it.