Let Her Go

Let her go: by Passenger

~~~~~~~~~~~~
3ed POV-

It had been a year since his death. Rin was almost back to her regular self, still a little shaken up but fine all the same. Minato wasn't fine at all but he forced it down, he was the Hokage now! He needed to stay strong, or at least pretend he was. Kushina still cried, she knew she always would. He was like a son to her, No she had not birthed him, but she might as well have. He felt like flesh and blood to her. She wanted him to be the big brother of her future first born. But it was not to be, and for that she was sad.
Kakashi however, well... he was another story entirely. He stopped talking to everyone. Kushina barely saw him out and about anymore either. He was either cooped up in that dingy little apartment of his or out on mission. The only person he would still talk too was Minato, only as Hokage and only for professional purposes. Kushina and Rin had tried talking to him, but he refused to even entertain the idea of holding a conversation. They had lost all connection with him, Kushina herself was even beginning to lose hope.

A tall shinobi burst into the room panting and gasping. Minato and Kushina jumped out of their seats, now standing.
"What is it Ibiki?"
Minato asked, feeling panic spread through his nerves.

"Hokage-sama you- you have to come see this! Right away!"
He gasped.

"What is it?"
Kushina stepped forth.

"I fear if I tell you, you won't believe me!"
The couple exchanged a concerned glance but followed Ibiki with hast nonetheless. They traveled to the north side of the village, to the hospital for sick or injured criminals. The tall shinobi dragged them along quickly through the building and down several sets of stairs. Finally, once it seemed like they had reached the deepest part of the fissility, they spotted a doctor pacing the floor rapidly. Once she spotted them she bellowed forward.

"Thank kami, your finally here!"
Her face was pale and sweat dripped from her forehead, it was quite dark and hot this far underground.

"What is going on, Anzen!"
Kushina demanded. The doctor seemed to falter a moment. She glanced up to Ibiki but he turned away. With a sigh she ran her finger through her curly black hair and taking their hands she led them down the hall.

"I think it's best if I show you."
Her voice had the most subtle tremble hidden under its husky accent. She led them past a door and as they walked by there was a blood curdling scream that was muffled by the door. They turned to look back at each other then turned to the doctor.

"What was-"

"You'll see!"
She interrupted Minato. She pulled them into the very next door, Ibiki following close behind them. There were several chairs in the room, all facing one wall. On the wall was a large one-way window allowing them to see into the previous room. However the door was so far away from the window that from their angle they could only see a doctor here or there running back and forth. Minato took a step closer but was stopped buy Anzen.
"Wait! Before you look, I must warn you... it may be shockin and... gruesome."

Minato's brow knit together tighter and he gave her an odd look as he stepped forward in front of the window.
"Oh God!"
His eyes widened and filled with tears.

"What is it?"
Kushina rushed to his side only to be met with the same view as him. She screamed clasping a hand over her mouth.

It was a big white room, in the center was a bed, and strapped to that bed was a deformed version of the boy they knew. Doctors circled him, trying to attach him to the machines and give him IV's. He squirmed, flinging himself left and right. The only thing keeping him in place being the restraints that bond him to the mattress. He screamed at them, most of his words were incoherent but a few were unmistakable.
"Please! Please! Stop! G-Get away, please!"
His hair was long and spiky, sticking to his face and neck from all his sweat. His shirtless body was injured, looking warped. He was skin and bones, his stomach heaving up and down with his frantic breathing.

"Anzen... what the hell am I looking at?"
Minato breathed out, unable to take his eyes off the sight. The doctor chewed her lip for a moment, trying to find the right words.

"He was found by the gate. He stumbled in and collapsed by the doors. It was obvious that he was injured but when the gate guards tried to help he... became like this."
She nodded towards the window.
"He's been in this state ever since. They brought him here assuming he was a rogue of some kind. I heard it was a struggle to get him here without causing a scene."
There was silence for a moment, the only sound being Kushina's sobs muffled by her hand. Stepping back she slowly sat down in one of the chairs, dropping her head into her hands, refusing to look at the sight anymore. Minato's eyes seemed lock on to what he saw, tears silently streaming down his paled face.

"Anzen... who am I looking at?"
He asked, his voice a little more steady this time.

She was on the verge of tears now two. To see her friends that she had always know as strong people fall apart within moments was... horrifying. Ibiki stood in the corner, forcing down any reaction at all.
"It- I-"
Anzen could not control her voice enough to speak.

"I think you know who your looking at."
Ibiki spoke for her.

"Are you sure?"
Minato was speaking through gritted teeth to keep his voice as steady as it was.

"... I have not done a my mind invasion jutsu on him yet but I doubt-"

"Do it now!"

"My lord?"
Ibiki knit his brow. For the first time Minato looked away, turning his deadly gaze to the tall man.

"I said do it now!"
He commanded, his eyes a chilling shade.

"Y-yes my lord."
The man bowed.

"Wait!"
Anzen butted in.
"If you perform such a jutsu now, while he's in such a state, it could be dangerous for both the boy and Ibiki! Besides, the boy is injured! If we try to pause the procedure now his wounds may become worse!"
Ibiki looked back at Minato for instructions. The Hokage grit his teeth back and forth, an ear piercing sound for most in the room, turning back he looked at the sight in front of him again.

"Fine."
He spat.
"Tend to his injuries, let him calm down, then report to me before you perform the jutsu! Understood?"
He shot them a side glare.

"Yes Hokage-sama!"
They both bowed. With a firm nod he took Kushina gently by the hand and led her from the room.