Middle Finger

Middle Finger: Bohnes

~~~~~~~~~~

3ed POV-

"I didn't know it was anything this bad!"
Minato urged.

"They were going to send him to a mental institution! How could it not be!"
Kushina snapped.

"They tried to send you to a mental institution because you had trouble reading! How was I supposed to know it was anything more then that?"
Kushina rubbed her temples from the stress as she turned away.

"Listen,"
She sighed.
"That's not what's important right now. It's in the past there's nothing we can do about it. What we need to worry about is how we tell Kakashi all this?"

"You don't!"
They both turned to Anzen who was seated in the corner.

"What are you talking about? We have to tell him! Obito was his best friend."
Minato urged.

"I don't care if he was his lover!"
She snapped.
"You've seen the ways Obito's reacted to you!"
Anzen eyed Kushina.
"I don't even want to imagine the kind of affect it would have on him to see Kakashi, one of the last faces he ever saw. And you know Kakashi, it doesn't matter what we tell him, if he knew Obito was here he'd come barging in and force his way to see him. With that kind of a shock to his system, Kakashi could kill Obito!"

Kushina glance over to her husband, who looked back.
"No!"
He snapped, seeing the look in her eyes.

"Minato."

"No Kakashi needs to know! It's not fare to just keep him in the dark like this!"

"But is Kakashi's depression worth Obito's life!"
She yelled. He froze, looking down at the wood floor.

"It's not fare!"
He mumbled.

"It's life! Now keep both your mouths shut!"
Anzen demanded, heading for the door.
"I need to see to it that your kid's getting the care he needs, and to set up daily counseling sessions for him."
She slammed the door behind her, leaving the two of them alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Obi- Tobi, may I come in?"
Anzen asked, knocking lightly on the door. There was no answer so she let herself in.
"Hello"
She approached his bedside where a chair was waiting for her. Obito looked dead or a least half way there. His eyes were fogged and drained, his skin pale. His hair was all ratty and he had bruises on his lips from where he'd been chewing them.
"Your warden told me you didn't sleep very well. You want to tell me about it?"
Sitting down she tried to make eye contact but he stared almost pitifully at the white floor.
"Tobi!"
She called a little louder then before. He seemed to notice her this time.

His eyes drifted slowly up to look at her.
"Oh... it's you... safe."

"Yes it's me, you are safe, I won't hurt you."

"You are... safe."
He repeated more as a fact and not a question.

"Tobi, you haven't eaten since you got here. Are you hungry?"
Obito seemed to think very hard about the question. He slowly nodded.

His voice was barely above the sound of a breath.
"So... hungry."

"Well then I'll go get you some food. What would you like?"
She asked.

"Apple!"
His cheeks tensed in an attempt to smile but failed miserably. With a nod she stood and headed for the door. Yet it seemed the minute he realized she was leaving he panicked.
"N-No! No!"
He jerked on the bed, Anzen turning around in shock.
"D-don't leave! Please don't leave me! Don't leave me alone with him!"
His eyes filled with tears as he gazed at her pleading.