He Is Not One Of Us

He Is Not One Of Us: Loin King 2

~~~~~~~~~~~

Itachi and Kakashi walked the market. Anzen had asked the raven to go see Obito that very afternoon he had agreed but stated that he promised to bring dongos the next time he saw Tobi. This made the woman laugh and she let him go to fetch them. Kakashi had decided to tag alone. Saying he wanted to do something to help his former teammate as well; though in part he simply wanted to remain in Itachi's presence. The boy had this calm, soothing, almost gentle nature about him. As if even though only a young child he treated everyone like his own offspring, as if he was the mother to all and nurtured them. Kakashi couldn't help but wonder how much more motherly he would be after having his own children.

"The Hokage and his wife seem so clingy today."
The boy remarked, looking over his shoulder at the couple not far behind. They had made an excuse that they also needed some things at the market. In truth after the panic of the morning both were unnerved at the idea of leaving Kakashi out of their sight.

"Yeah, it's not all that weird though."
Kakashi shrugged as they kept walking, his hands stuffed into the pockets of the borrowed pants. The adults kept a good distance behind the two. So that they might have privacy but still be kept in their line of sight.
"Their usually overbearing in this way."

"What way?"

"The way that makes them want to baby every person they come across."

"That must be nice."

"Being babied?"

"Being cared for."
A silence cut between them. Kakashi fidgeted slightly.

"Are you not?"
He barley mumbled above the crowd.

"I am—"
The boy paused to think a moment.
"Provided for."

"What is the difference between being cared for and provided for?"

The boy shrugged a shoulder.
"Not much I suppose."
Kakashi quirked a brow.
"Forgive me, I spoke too freely."

"Are you not free to speak?"

Itachi swallowed thickly but smiled, something dark swelling in his eyes.
"No one is free. Everyone is confined by something. Tobi is confined by this ghost, Hokage-sama is confined by his position. I have my own confinements."
Before he could question the raven turned and walked quickly to the dongo shop. Kakashi skipping to keep up. For how short he was he had gracefully long strides.

~~~~~~~~

Itachi knocked on the white door, the sound of the plastic under his knuckles was all too familiar. This hospital was his second home. He spent just as much time here. Every other week he was sleeping in a hospital bed surrounded by nurses and doctors. He knew most of them by name at this point.
There was no answer so he pushed the door open and stuck his head in.
"Tobi?"
The boy was on his bed, facing the window. He flinched at Itachi's voice. Slowly turning to look at him. His face looked... scared and tired at the same time. His eyes looked Itachi up and down. But he did not say anything. Did not move more then turning his head.
"Are you hungry?"
He asked, pulling up a stool to sit beside the bed. The plate of dongo in his lap.
"I brought dongo like I promised."
Holding up the plate he smiled softly. Yet still Tobi looked dead. Sighing Itachi set the plate on the side table. He slipped onto the edge of the bed.
"You look so tired. Would you like to sleep?"

"Tobi is..."
He pondered. His voice was scratchy and dry.
"Tired of being scared."

"What is Tobi afraid of?"
He humored the illusion. Whatever it was. Fighting it would only make it worse. Obito was silent for a long minute, staring at nothingness. When Itachi was about to ask again— thinking the boy hadn't understood him— Tobi spoke again.