Lobster Pot

The moment Chrissy opens the front door, she wishes she'd taken Eddie's offer of going back to his trailer. Watching TV with Wayne or reading in Eddie's bed is a far more enticing idea than having to make nice with her parents. She's never noticed how sterile the place is. Everything is in its correct place like a showroom, one where you're most certainly not allowed to touch anything without permission.

"Hello?"

No answer. Chrissy smiles, puffing a relieved sigh and heading straight to her room. The exhaustion is different from anything she's felt before. It isn't the same as finishing a long cheer session or going for a run. It's set deep in her bones, like the world is tilting off axis and if she doesn't lie down soon, she's going to be bringing up the lunch Eddie thoughtfully prepared for her.

Without a second thought, Chrissy drops her bag and closes the bedroom door to flump sideways on her bed. She's dead to the world the moment her eyes close.

"CHRISSY! What on earth are you doing asleep at this time?"

Laura's horrified screech resembles a fork scraping on a china plate, high pitched and so cutting Chrissy jumps awake. Disorientated, her hand clutches her chest, heart racing from the fright.

"I, uh-...sorry. I wasn't feeling well. Headache," she mumbles, rubbing her eyes.

The clock radio on her nightstand flashes 1800 in big red numbers. Chrissy guesses her mother has only just come home. She takes a deep inhale through her nose, hoping to steady her turbulent stomach.

So I'm just gonna feel sick every time I wake up...awesome...

Laura crosses her arms tightly, red painted lips pursed while her eyes flash with open anger. "I am just back from the church bridge group where I had a very upsetting conversation with Hilary Carver."

Hilary Carver. Jason's mother. Chrissy takes another deep breath.

"Oh?"

"Don't you oh me, young lady!" Laura snaps, stamping a heeled foot. "She told me that you broke up with Jason! Are you insane? What were you thinking?!"

Sitting on the edge of her bed, Chrissy's hands fist awkwardly in the sheets. "I've not been happy for a really long time, mom," she answers honestly. "I don't want to be with him."

"You stupid, arrogant little girl!" Laura hisses. The step she takes into the room makes Chrissy recoil back. "That boy is perfect for you! He comes from a respectable family, he's got a scholarship to one of the best schools in the country! You'll never do better."

She'll never do better, except that in her mind, she already has. She's with someone who loves her. Really loves her. Someone who makes her laugh, who takes care of her.

"But I don't feel anything for him!" Chrissy cries. "You don't know what he's really like! He's arrogant and selfish and-..."

"Enough! You will call that boy and you will apologise and say you made a mistake."

"No!"

Laura's perfectly manicured brows almost hit her hairline, the severe way her hair is pulled back making her expression that much worse.

"What did you say to me?"

Chrissy grips the sheets with white knuckles. "I said no, I won't apologise or get back together with Jason. We're done."

Laura sucks her teeth, eyes flashing dangerously.

"I want you to think very carefully about what you're doing, Christine," she growls. "You can stay in here until you're ready to see sense!"