Up and Up

"He's just trying to help!"

"I know , but he shouldn't have to. That's what I'm trying to say. You're my family, you're both my responsibility! I don't want his damn charity."

Neither Eddie nor Chrissy have to go back to school.

With finals done and their graduation attendance confirmed, Chrissy's father takes it upon himself to argue their case that returning to school isn't in the best interests of Chrissy or the baby.

Higgins wouldn't want to cause more stress to a young, pregnant woman, now would he?

As if trying to make amends for his absence, Phillip throws himself into supporting his daughter. He sets up a bank account in her name, an extremely generous allowance being paid in weekly. Chrissy is grateful, touched by the gestures but her father's methods can leave much to be desired. Especially when she's still working through her turbulent feelings about her 'old' family.

Buying her forgiveness, Eddie calls it. Maybe he's not wrong.

Eddie and Chrissy sit together, curled up on the sofa with local listings and markers between them, circling and calling for any apartment that looks suitable. So far, nothing has thrilled them. Two bedrooms would be ideal, but a lot are out of their comfortable price range even with Eddie's job.

The single bedroom apartments that they can afford?

Roach infested and damp. Eddie wouldn't let a rat live there, let alone his young family.

"Eddie," Chrissy patiently draws his attention to her. "Please, don't let your pride get in the way of something we need. Come on, think of her?"

"I am thinking of her, and you. It's literally all I think about," he sighs, carding a hand through his hair. "I don't want her growing up thinking her dad can't take care of her."

Before she knew Eddie, really knew him, Chrissy could believe that nothing bothered him. Opinions would roll off him like water from a duck's back and he'd always just be...Eddie. But this insecurity has always been there, impending fatherhood driving it to the surface. Like he's supported her, she wants to do the same for him. They're in this together.

She reaches for his face, using her hand to make him look at her. "Hey, c'mon. You're going to be the best dad. Taking care of people isn't all about money. You know that!"

He doesn't expect her to fully understand. Chrissy has always lived comfortably. She's never had to watch her parents play 'final notice roulette' to decide which bills could be paid that month or worry about how full the pantry is. He has and growing up, kids were cruel enough to never let him forget it.

Trailer trash, right?

"We could live in the back of your van for all I care!" she insists, her thumbs stroking his cheeks. "As long as you love me and you love our little girl, that's what matters most."