Best Laid plans

"Tell me about her?"

Eddie looks down at the yellowing pages of the photo album, brows coming together like he's deciphering a puzzle. As the silence stretches, Chrissy worries she's pushed something he isn't ready for, that Eddie will clam up and change the subject but he makes a contemplative sound then speaks.

"I...don't remember much, honestly," he says wistfully. "I wish I did. I can remember things like the way she used to sing in the kitchen when she cooked or how she wore her hair but...everything else I know from stories Wayne told me."

Chrissy bites her lip looking back down at the picture. Gloria is beautiful. She's got blonde hair down her back that reminds Chrissy of Farrah Fawcett, wearing a white shirt tied at the waist with indigo jeans. Little Eddie smiles in her arms.

"What happened?" She asks. "I mean, you don't need to tell me. I just want to know you better."

Eddie smiles softly, twisting his head to kiss her forehead where she's snuggled in against his shoulder. "I want to. I have wanted to, it's just-...I don't want you to feel sorry for me."

"Sorry for you?"

"Yeah," he nods. "You tell people your mom died and they give you this...look. Like you're the last dog at the pound or some shit."

"I don't think that," Chrissy assures him, the arm around his waist squeezing a little.

"Yeah, I know," He takes a deep breath as if steeling himself for his story. "My mom died when I was 5. Cancer. Wayne said there was nothing they could have done, it was kinda everywhere."

"Oh Eddie, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. I mean, it's not okay, but...it is what it is," he says. "But she was a good mom. I know that much, and she was way better than my deadbeat, asshole dad deserved."

The change in his tone is chilling. It's clear just from the way he speaks Eddie has nothing but love for his late mother, the beautiful Gloria who would sing as she cooked. His father on the other hand brings only a cold bitterness to his voice.

"Do you know where he is?" Chrissy asks, bracing herself for the answer.

Eddie shakes his head. "Not anymore and I don't wanna know," he growls. "When mom found out she was having me, they'd only been dating about six months. Or that's what Wayne said."

A puzzle piece clicks into place. The way Eddie reacted to their news, his adamant promises that he isn't leaving, that he'll be there for her every step.

"And he just...left," Eddie sneers, disgusted at the thought. "He left her alone to deal with it. Wayne stepped up to help out with money and stuff. She was working as a waitress at some diner, but..."

"But that's not an easy job when you're pregnant and on your own," Chrissy finishes.

"Right. Anyway, I came into the world and for a while, things were apparently okay. She got by working a few jobs. Made ends meet while Wayne babysat. But then she got sick."

The thickening of his voice keeps Chrissy quiet, holding him tightly where they sit together on the sofa with the album on his lap. She isn't going to rush him and the fact he's telling her all this at all speaks volumes of the trust they share.

"I ended up in care for a while. That sucked," he snorts without humor. "Wayne had to fight for a few years to be recognized as a guardian, being my dad's brother and all. Didn't get here until I was...7."

"You spent 2 years in care?"

Eddie makes a gesture that's between a shrug and a nod. "Yeah, but I mean at least it was only 2 years. Some kids aren't so lucky."