Mama I'm coming home

In all the years Gareth has known Eddie, there have been two hard and fast rules that everyone knows to follow.

Nobody touches his guitar.

Nobody drives his van.

That's why when Eddie reaches into his pocket to pull out the keys, Gareth barely has time to register that they've been thrown toward him. He fumbled with the keychain, blinking at Eddie like he's just thrown his firstborn at him.

"Drive it. Don't wreck it."

Gareth is about to ask if Eddie is sure, but the guitarist is already climbing in the back with Chrissy, the smaller girl clinging onto him like he'll disappear if she lets go. Chrissy curls into him, hauled into Eddie's lap with her face buried in his neck. Eddie rests a hand on her bump.

It's okay, daddy's here now...I've got you both...

"You feeling okay?" Eddie asks quietly while Miles climbs in the front leaving Kimberly and Jeff in the back. "Do I need to take you to the doctor?"

Chrissy shakes her head, huffing a relieved sigh against his skin. "No, I just want to go home."

He holds her a little tighter.

"Might be a good idea," he suggests. "Maybe later if you've had some rest?"

"Okay."

"Okay?"

Chrissy nods. "You're probably right...about a lot of things."

"I don't always enjoy it," he points out, feeling her kiss his cheek.

"I know," Chrissy sighs. "How...did you know I needed help?"

She's been through enough, he doesn't want to upset her more but better Chrissy finds out from people who love her than gossip in the halls.

Eddie locks eyes with Kimberly sitting directly across from them, the cheerleader propped up against the wall of the van.

"Chris, everyone knows...about the baby," Kimberly tells her, carefully watching for her reaction. "Claire stole the ultrasound picture you gave me out of my bag and gave it to Jason, he's the one who told your mom."

A thick silence fills the back of the van, only broken by the sound of the engine as Gareth struggles to drive stick. Chrissy frowns as if she's deciphering a puzzle before looking oddly calm.

"Oh."

"Are you okay?" Kimberly asks. "I'm so sorry, Chris, I had no idea that little bitch would do something so nasty!"

Chrissy makes a thoughtful noise, lifting her head from Eddie and nodding. "I'm okay, I think...or I will be. I could have guessed Jason was involved. Guess he showed his true colours."