Chapter 4 - The Gryffindor Common Room

I was laying on my bed in the dormitory. Garreth had slipped me another one of his grey-swirly-potions, as we made our way out of the Great Hall after the start-of-term feast. I couldn't help but smile at that, Garreth was always having me trial his potions. I held the bottle in my hand, mindlessly moving it back and forth from hand to hand. I decided to have another try of the potion.

My vision went dim, before the feel of grass beneath my feet and salt in the air hit me. I found myself transported to a hill somewhere in the highlands. It was a sunny day, with not a cloud to be seen. I walked forwards, towards the sound of seagulls and crashing waves. The hill in front of me turned into a cliffside where it met the ocean. Behind me I could see towering mountains in the distance.

I turned around, and suddenly out of nowhere, there was Garreth. He was sitting on a red picnic blanket, the grass around him full of wild flowers. He smiled at me, but it was somehow different from his usual smile. More... loving?

I blushed a little and sat down next to him. He immediately took my hand into his and just held it, as if it was the most casual thing ever. The way he looked at me, with those deep green eyes, made me catch my breath. My heart was beating hard against my ribs.

I drank in the sight of him. His freckled face was framed by a goofy smile, his eyes stared intently into mine. He looked at me as if I was the most wonderful sight he had ever seen. Slowly, we seemed to be leaning in towards each other, my eyes traveling down to his full lips before closing.

Our lips met. Shivers travelled up and down my spine. As the kiss grew deeper, I found myself on my back. One of Garreth's red locks was tickling my forehead. He reached down and took a hold of my hand, bringing it up above my head. He moved towards my neck...

Abruptly, too abruptly, I was back in my own bed. My cheeks flushed with heat, and I turned around burying my face into the pillow.

Wait a second, do I fancy Garreth Weasley?

After my breathing calmed down, and my face no longer felt hot. I looked over at Nellie's bed. She was sitting with her back against the bedhead reading a book in the dim light of her wand. "Nellie are you awake?" I whispered. A silly question, I know, but I didn't know what else to say.

We sneaked downstairs, through the empty Gryffindor common room. We sat down on the velvet sofa in front of the warming fire. Nellie could tell that I wanted to ask her something, but waited patiently as I tried, with great exasperation, to find the right words.

"If you don't mind me asking. Did you... Did you see anyone else when you took Weasley's potion on the train?". Her look was clearly puzzled, "No, I didn't. Did you?".

"No... Not the first time I drank the potion...", I said nervously twiddling my thumbs in my lap. "Wait, you took it a second time? When?", she inquired, her interest piqued. Nellie loved a good mystery, and I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake bringing her downstairs with me. The truth would be dragged out of me.

"Earlier this evening. Just after I went to bed", I said, not looking up from my hands. "And? What happened?", she asked. I could feel her eyes on me, questioning both with concern and more than a tinge of curiousity, but I couldn't bring myself to meet hers. My cheeks started to redden, "I saw someone else, and they might have... maybe... emh...", I trailed off. "They what? Y/n, come on. You know you can trust me". "They kissed me", I whispered.

"Who kissed you?", said a voice from behind us.

I jumped in my seat, my stomach jumped with me, and my face just burned with embarrassment. I looked up at Nellie, who took one look at me, and the understanding dawning on her face. Without another word she took a throw pillow and hurled it as hard as she could at Garreth's face.

She took my hand, and dragged me back to the dormitory, the whole time shielding my face from Garreth's view.