Chapter 8 - Practice match - Gryffindor vs. Slytherin - Part. 1

The week had gone by in a flash, and it was already the last day of classes for the week. We had a free period for the third period, and Nellie and I were eager to spend it catching up. Madam Kogawa had come along for our first practice and made us vote on a team captain; Nellie had had been chosen unanimously. She had been completely busy as a result, both with her studies and the additional responsibilities of being a captain, and I had been spending every evening in the room of requirement with Garreth.

We sat down on one of the couches in the little sitting area outside of the Charms classroom. "How have you been? I feel like I've barely seen you outside of classes and practice". She gave me a look, "Sneaking into the dormitory late, often after curfew". I gave her a sheepish grin. "Yeah, about that. Garreth's been showing me how to brew some fun potions. None that Professor Sharp would approve off, I am sure", I said with a laugh. "And as for breaking curfew, we've honestly just been losing track of time".

Nellie gave me a knowing smile, "I've been noticing the two of you spending more time together, always sneaking away somewhere after practice, but not tonight!" Straightening her back proudly and with a big smile she continued, "I'm taking the team out for butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks after practice today, and the two of you better be there as well!". "I wouldn't miss it for the world", I said. "Good. I am hoping that it will help boost team morale before our practice game against Slytherin tomorrow. There is no way that I am losing to Imelda, she is already insufferable as is...". To nobody's surprise, Imelda Reyes had become the captain of Slytherin's quidditch team.

"Speaking of which, how are you liking being team captain?". Her face lit up, eyes shining as she answered, "It's honestly incredible! Although, I must admit, I did not foresee that the role would involve me spending my free time in the library studying former matches and game play".

"Then there is all the administrative stuff that I have to take care off, like booking the pitch and such", with an exaggerated sigh she continued "And do not get me started on Imelda. If she had it her way, Slytherin would have the quidditch pitch for at least three hours every day. Merlin's beard, it was just pure luck that I've managed to book the pitch for our practice at the times I wanted". With a laugh she continued, "You should have seen her face when she realised that I had gotten in before her, reserving the pitch for the hour after last class. Of course, Slytherin's practice is right after ours, and if you haven't already noticed Imelda and Violet have been showing up early, watching as we finish our practice".

Thinking back at this week's practices, Imelda and Violet had gotten into the habit of walking out into the pitch as we were dismounting our brooms. Imelda immediately starting some sly conversation with Nellie. I could swear that the two of them tried their best to psych each other out, at any, and every chance that they got. And then there was Violet, I don't know what I'd ever done to her, but that girl was staring daggers at me. I could feel the intensity of her hate filled stare as Garreth and I left together after every practice.

-

We made our way into the three broomsticks, it was bustling with life. We found an empty table near the crackling fireplace and sat down. We had to add another chair to the table to fit all seven of us in, resulting in me sitting quite close to both Natty and Garreth. Which I must admit that I did not mind one bit.

Nellie and Eric returned from the bar, placing seven butterbeers on the table. Nellie said some encouraging words about how we would crush Slytherin into the ground during our practice match tomorrow, and then we all raised out tankards in a cheer "To Gryffindor!".

We sat there for more than two hours, talking about a mixture of classes we were looking forward to this year, and how excited we were for the return of quidditch. I was sitting with my left hand resting in my lap, as I took sips of butterbeer with my other hand. Suddenly I could feel the warmth of Garreth's hand briefly brushing against mine. I looked over at him, but he was talking to Lucan facing away from me. I gently moved my hand towards his, our pinkies interlacing. We sat like that, holding hands under the table until it was time to head back to Hogwarts.