Chapter 15 - Picnic in the Highlands

I couldn't stop smiling as I made my way towards the South Exit. Garreth had been hinting that he had something special planned all of yesterday, but refused to elaborate. All he had said was to meet him at the South Exit after breakfast, and that he would take care of everything else.

As I made my way through the crocked elevated wooden corridor, I spotted Garreth up ahead. He was standing in the grass, wearing brown britches, and a marron wool sweater with a white collar popping up from underneath. He was holding one broom in each hand, his own and mine.

As I got closer he turned to face me, a big goofy grin plastered over his freckled face. I noticed that he had a brown leather satchel over one shoulder and across his body. I eyed the bag - my curiosity peaked.

"I was beginning to think that you had stood me up", Garreth teased.

"You did not", I put my arms around his neck.

"Did too", his lips embraced mine in a gentle kiss.

I carefully moved my hand towards the satchel, as to not alert Garreth of my intentions of having a little peak. The leather felt cold under my fingers as they slowly made their way towards the opening. Just as I was about to reach inside the satchel, Garreth's hand gripped my wrist. He pulled away from the kiss laughing.

"Nice try, love, but I will not let you spoil the surprise".

I pouted at him as he leaned in and whispered in my ear. "Just be patient, I promise you that it will be worth your time".

We mounted our brooms and started flying southward. I enjoyed watching Garreth try out his new broom. He flew from side to side, abruptly changing altitudes as he playfully tested out the limits of the broom. 

We were flying high over the Black Lake, when Garreth suddenly looked at me with a big grin, his eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Follow me."

He flashed me a wide smile before he abruptly started nosediving towards the lake, only stopping just before his feet broke the surface of the water. I let out a laugh and followed him. His laughter filled my ears as he reached out his hand and splashed me with some water. Before I had time to react, or retaliate, he was already speeding away.

"Hey!", I exclaimed as I chased after him.

We flew for a little over an hour, before we landed on a hill overlooking the ocean. I took a moment to take in the beauty of our surroundings. The grass around us was full of wildflowers in all colours imaginable. We had a clear view of the rolling hills of the Highlands, as well as some high mountains on the distant horizon. There were a few dark clouds in the distance, but the sky was blue right above us and the sunshine felt warm on my skin. 

I turned around to see that Garreth was sitting on a red picnic blanket. He had taken of the satchel and it was now placed next to him as he rummaged through it. He noticed me looking and gave me a playful wink as he pulled a rattan picnic basket out of the satchel. As it slowly emerged, I noticed that the basket was larger than the bag itself.

Wiggling his eyebrows at me, he made a show of patting the blanket, signaling for me to join him. I took a seat next to him and he took my hand in his and started absentmindedly brushed his thumb over my knuckles. I was struck with a sudden feeling of déjà vu.

I hadn't told anyone, not even Nellie, about what I saw when I took Garreth's potion the first night back at Hogwarts, only that I saw somebody kiss me. And here I found myself on a hill in the Highlands, Garreth sitting on a red picnic blanket and looking at me all affectionately.

Did his potion predict the future? There was no way. Right...?

"Y/n, are you alright?", Garreth's green eyes looked at me with concern. He held a dish of pumpkin pie in his hand. I took a moment to gather myself. The blanket in front of us was full of various dishes, Garreth must have been emptying the contents of the picnic basket while I was stuck in my thoughts. I flashed him a reassuring smile. My stomach started to growl as all the incredible smells of the food wafted over me. All thoughts about the potion temporarily forgotten.