Chapter 10 - The Practice Ground

Garreth's POV

I made my way into the room of requirement. I must admit that I felt a little bit awkward, as this was my first time entering by myself. I hadn't seen or talked to y/n since the practice match.

I knew what my strengths were, my many strengths at that, but flying was not one of them. I was by no means a bad flyer; I hadn't needed to take flying classes past year four. My classmates would go flying for leisure after classes, while I would rather walk, or work on my potions. As much as I did not like to admit it, yesterday's game had made me doubt myself. I had come close to falling of my broom multiple times, and practically made a fool out of myself.

My ego bruised, I had quickly dismounted my broom and left the pitch. Wanting to be alone, I had found myself walking to Lower Hogsfield. I had bought some food from a vendor, and not made it back to the castle until after curfew. I was sure that I would be called into Matilda's office first thing Monday morning as a result, but I was confident in my ability to talk my way out of any punishment.

"Garreth, I've been looking for you", y/n voice pulled me out of my thoughts and back to the present moment. I gave her a sheepish grin, unsure what to say. Y/n seemed unbothered by my lack of response and continued speaking "Are you alright? I am sorry that I did not see what was happening during the match. Leander told me after; that Violet was playing dirty purposefully trying to hit you with bludgers". A sense of relief washed over me. I had been so busy dodging and fending of bludgers, that it had not occurred to me that the Slytherin girl had gone out of her way to try and get me.

"I must admit", I said hesitantly, "that I was feeling a little unsure about my role as a Beater after the match". She scanned my face, "Was? Does that mean that you will continue being a part of the team?" she asked with a hopeful smile. I couldn't help but smile back at her, she was so cute, looking up at me with those pretty e/c eyes.

Suddenly one of the walls started wavering, before what looked like another vivarium appeared. Y/n and I exchanged surprised glances before a smile spread over her lips and she walked through the doors of the greenhouse looking construction. After standing there dumbfounded for an instant, my legs started working again, and I followed her.

My eyes took a moment to adjust to the bright light. A vast grass plain stretched out in front of me, I continued walking, turning around taking it the sights. I spotted three hoops to one of the sides. Merlin's beard, it was a Quidditch practice ground. There were three goalposts at either side of the pitch, and to the side, near the entry, there was an open tent. The tent, I realised, hosted a rack of modest brooms, some basic quidditch gear and a dresser. There was also a changing quarter, and a large wooden chest, which I guessed held the quaffle, bludgers, and golden snitch.

"Isn't this just incredible?" y/n said walking over to where I was standing inside the tent. With a big grin I answered, "It's brilliant!", giving her a self-conscious smile, "I don't know about you, but I could need some practice away from everybody. Care to join me?".

Y/n opened one of the drawers in the dresser and pulled out two quidditch uniforms. She chucked me one, before she disappeared into the changing quarter. I looked at the different brooms, as I waited for her to get changed.

Maybe I should invest in a new broom?

I turned around to see y/n opening the wooden chest, in the blink of an eye the balls went flying out of the tent, soaring through the sky. I looked at her uniform, it was different than our actual uniforms. It had red and gold horizonal stripes, with a crisp white collar. The Gryffindor house crest embroidered over the chest, and on the left shoulder.

She noticed me looking and said, "I believe that this might be one of the previous uniforms, I think I saw it in one of the pictures hanging in Sprintwitches Sporting Needs". "I wouldn't know", I said with a laugh, "I don't think that I have ever set foot in that store". "You should, Mr. Weekes is a kind man, I am sure that you would like him". That sounded good to me, "Maybe you could come with me sometime?" I queried, "If I am going to keep playing quidditch, I think it's time that I get my own broom, and I could use your help choosing one". She gave me a big smile, "I would love to!".

Without further ado, I changed into my uniform, and we mounted our brooms. Clutching my bat in one hand, I started to pick up speed. It felt good to be back on a broom; during a moment of doubt last night, I had contemplated never touching the damn thing ever again, but I was glad that y/n had made me see reason.

I worked up a sweat, flying around, swinging my bat. It was fun to practice, just the two of us. I found myself relaxing and starting to regain control and confidence in my abilities. Y/n flew past me, the sun giving her hair a golden glow, and her face set in concentration as she swept towards the goalpost. From a distance, she threw the quaffle she had in her hand, and it went through the hoop. She let out a gleeful sound and turned to smile at me. She looked so pretty.

Abruptly, as I twisted to watch her, I felt a sharp spike of pain in my side, and I lost control of my broom. The blue sky, rotating as I tumbled towards the ground. I hit the ground hard, expecting pain to wash over me. To my surprise, the impact felt like landing on a soft feather mattress. I could hear y/n calling out my name, worry plain on her face as she came running towards me. She plunked down in the grass next to me, grabbing a hold of my face as she leaned over me.

"I'm okay, the ground is surprisingly soft", I said, letting out a laugh. Relief spread across her face, a smile started to form and she just, glowed. Her hands were still resting softly on my cheeks, her e/c eyes looking into mine. I lifted my head towards her, and before I realised what I was doing, I kissed her. Time felt like it stood still, the feel of her soft lips made me feel all warm and content inside. She kissed me back, gently at first, but then pushing my head back down into the grass. Our mouths danced in a kind of tango, and my head started to get a little fuzzy.

After what felt like an eternity, our lips parted one final time. That fuzzy feeling turned into a buzz, my body practically humming with happiness. Laying next to each other in the grass, we both let out some happy panting. I turned my head, admiring her soft features. She was laying on her side, looking back at me. "You are brilliant, just brilliant", I whispered. We lay there for a while just looking at each other, hands stroking each other, neither of us wanting to get up.