Chapter Two | Talia

"You must be new," A female voice says to me, her face hidden by her open locker. "I've never seen you around before."

The locker closes half-way, revealing a pretty girl with long curly black hair and soulful brown eyes. "I was hoping it wasn't too obvious." I say, shifting the weight of my backpack around. "I just transferred from Boyd Anderson."

"I'm Simone by the way," She pulls a literature textbook out from her locker. "And I heard that's a rough school."

"It's definitely not for the weak," I agree. "I'm Talia ."

Boyd Anderson was a dog eat dog kind of high school. Students were getting into fights at least three times a day, drug deals were made in the bathroom, and the students were in charge of the teachers.

"Where's your schedule?" Simone asks upon slamming her locker shut.

She's got a small, willowy body and a music note tattoo just below her left ear.

I wordlessly hand her the schedule my guidance counselor had given me just a few hours ago. "Looks like we have Literature together and the same lunch. You should sit with me." Simone hands me back my schedule.

"Thanks." I really planned on just keeping to myself these next few semesters and finishing out my senior year alone, but Simone was making it impossible not to like her. How is she doing that? My guard is usually unwavering and unshakable- but I like Simone. I can see us being great friends.

In the halls, there's a group of girls leaning against a row of lockers talking, laughing and honestly judging others as they walk by. My eyes lock with one of them- she's insanely gorgeous with her long brown hair, blue eyes, and pouty pink lips. She seizes me up and down and I stare at her head on, unafraid and definitely not intimidated by the look she's giving me. She might be a queen bee here but at my old school I'd make girls like her cry.

Her blue eyes widen once she realizes that her mean girl look doesn't work on me. Instead, she settles for rolling her eyes and turns her attention back to her friends.

"Who's the brown-hair Barbie?" I ask Simone.

"That's Addison Meyers," Simone answers. "She runs this school."

"Of course she does." I roll my eyes.

"You seriously don't want to get on her bad side or she'll make your life a living hell." Simone warns me.

"I'm already there." I say, just as we come to a stop outside of the last room down the hall. Simone enters through the door first, heading for a seat in the back of the classroom. I did a quick scan of the room seeing that most of the seats were already filled and the first two rows were filled with just girls.

Interesting.

I scoot myself between rows of desks and take the only available seat in the back of the classroom right next to the door. Simone is two rows over and when I look over, she sends a friendly smile my way before taking out her cellphone.

I place my backpack on top of my desk, unzip the large pocket, and pull out my notebook and also pull out a pen. I manage to scribble today's date at the top right corner of my paper before looking back up at the front of the classroom where the teacher is.
His back is turned towards us so I can't make out any features beside his over six feet frame and wavy blonde hair.

I watch as he scrawls his name on the white board. Mr. Cross.

"Come in and sit anywhere." He tells us as the warning bell rings. A few more kids rush in seconds later, taking up the remaining empty desks just as the final bell rings. "My name is Mr. Cross and welcome to AP Literature..." I tune out the rest of Mr. Cross's words the second he turns around to face the class.