Chapter Sixteen | Nick

"I can't do it!" Isabella exclaims, dough dripping from her fingers.

My niece wiggles her fingers, her apron wrapped securely around her waist. Before us, a bowl of cookie batter Talia left us in charge to whip together despite me telling her that I shouldn't be in charge of an oven. Isabella wanted cookies after dinner and Talia thought it would be a good idea to bake some verses getting her the already made cookies in the cupboard.

When Ryan called, asking me if I could watch Isabella for a few hours so he and Caitlin can have date night, I eagerly agreed, loving any extra time I could spend with my niece, and when I mentioned it to Talia she offered to tag along to help which I didn't have any problems with because I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her, even if it was just a few hours.

Isabella was thrilled to see her. I look out the kitchen that overlooks the dining room where I see her picking up the toys Isabella brought down from her room to play with. She looks beautiful in a pair of destroyed light denim jeans and a black Guns N Roses t-shirt.

"You just gotta add a little bit more flour." Talia says, walking towards us.

Isabella and I both take a step back and allow Talia to take over, adding more flour to our batter so that it would become thicker.

"Our hero." I tell her before kissing her cheek.

"Oh babe, you got a little flour on your shirt." Talia tells me, frowning.

I look down at my shirt but see nothing. "Wh-" I start to say but stopped when Talia suddenly flicks flour in my face.

"Oops." She grins at me and Isabella and her giggle.

"Oh, you think that's funny?" I arch a brow at the both of them.

"You look silly Uncle Nick." Isabella continues to giggle.

"You know what's silly? This!" I flick some flour on her face. Talia laughs louder and I flick my gaze to her. "Oh, don't think you're free babe." I grab a handful of batter from the bowl.

"You wouldn't..." Talia eyes me suspiciously.

"Oh, but I would." I state before I throw the batter at her chest.

For the next ten minutes we have a food fight. Talia throws batter back at me, I throw some at Isabella and Isabella attacks Talia. It isn't until I slip on some batter on the floor that I wave my white flag and call a truce.

Isabella goes upstairs to take a shower and get ready for bed while Talia and I stay downstairs to clean up the mess we made in the kitchen.

"I don't think your sister would ever let us babysit again if she saw her kitchen."

"She'd probably murder you." I agree.

"We should probably start cleaning up them before they come back." Talia says before she stands up. I tell her where the cleaning supplies are and the two of us begin cleaning.

That was actually pretty fun. Normally whenever I played with Isabella, Caitlin or Ryan were around, playing with us, but I don't know, this time felt different. Playing with her and Talia somehow just made it feel like we were our own little family in some way.

"You're quiet." Talia notes as she steps back into the kitchen after helping Isabella with her shower and getting her into her pajamas.

"How's Bella?"

"All snuggled up in her bed. She's waiting for you to give her a goodnight kiss." She tells me.

"I'll be up in a minute." I say, wiping the counter.