Chapter Six | Nick

What the fuck are you doing Nick?

I've lost count how many times I've asked myself that question since meeting Talia Davis two weeks ago.

Before her, I'd consider myself a rational guy, but now I'm doing things I didn't fully understand, which as of this moment included sitting in my car in front of Talia's house.

I peer out the front of the car, spotting the gold numbers on the door I've seen Talia disappear behind a couples times now that I brought her home.

I shouldn't be here. I should be at home. Actually, I should be at Caitlin's having breakfast, but instead I'm sitting inside my car feeling like a full on stalker.

I couldn't just leave her with the way things ended the other day. I'm not even totally sure what came over me. It was a Friday evening and because I didn't want to take my work home with me I stayed a few more hours to grade some papers and gather questions for an upcoming test. I didn't expect anyone to be on campus, at least not anyone without a good reason and any after school activities should've been wrapped up by then.

I make my way across the parking lot for my car, thinking about what I'm going to pick up for dinner tonight when I hear it, the only women's laughter who sends something warm down my belly. I turn my head towards the sound where I saw a group of students leaning against the cars and dancing to music. Normally I'd continue onto my car but then I saw Talia grinding against one of the football players and before I could talk myself out of it, I stalk over there and break it up.

I had no right to be as angry as I was.

She's a student and she's just having some fun with friends.

But did she have to dance like that?

She wasn't doing anything wrong. Not technically. But the image of his hands on her, of any part of her body touching another guy had me seeing red.

And the way she looked me...

God. She looked at me like she wanted me to make a move.

But I couldn't. I wouldn't. I tell myself the only reason I'm here was so that I could stop feeling like an ass and no other reason.

I finally climb out of my car, locking the door behind me before making my way towards the building.

I made sure not to wear anything expensive like a watch or jewelry and I dressed casually in a pair of jeans and green t-shirt, hoping not to draw too much attention to myself though it was pretty obvious that I'm not from around here.

I head up the stairs, eyeing the peeling dark green paint on the railing and old gum on the steps.

I pass a couple doors before finally reaching Talia, but I don't knock. I just stand there, the gift I brought with me clutched tightly in my right hand.

It's not too late to turn back.

"God, what the hell are you doing Nick?" I mutter to myself.

I turn to leave when I hear the door unlocking and before I can get anywhere I'm face to face with Talia.

"Mr. Cross? What are you doing here?" She asks, looking behind me as if expecting to see someone else.

"I honestly don't know." I tell her. "Actually, that's not true. I do know why I'm here. Uh, I was kinda an ass to you the other day and I had no right. So I bought you something as an apology." I hold out the large sketch pad I bought at the store an hour ago. I remember our first conversation where she told me she wanted to be a designer so I figured she'd need a sketch pad to draw her ideas if she didn't have one already.