Chapter Eighteen | Nick

Checking my phone for what seemed like the hundred time, I see that it's a little past eight o'clock. It seemed like everyone was here to celebrate my dad's birthday, everyone except Talia. She insisted that we got ready separately so she could surprise me and that she'd take an Uber here.

I shouldn't have agreed to coming separately.

I understand that women need time to get ready for moments like these, but she's been getting ready since this morning. All I did was shower and shave before throwing on a suit I already had hanging in the closet.

Maybe I wouldn't be so annoyed if I didn't already think she was perfect and there was nothing else she could do to impress me.

"You look tense." Ryan said, coming over to me with a glass of champagne in his hands.

"I'm fine."

"Relax. She'll be here. Focus on the people that are here right now." Ryan tells me.

Anyone who was anyone in town was in attendance tonight. Family members that I haven't seen since the last birthday party are here as well as friends of my mom and dad. Everyone was having a good time; laughing, sharing stories, drinking champagne... all of which Talia should be doing if she was here right now.

"There's more people here than last year." I comment.

"You're dad is a beloved man in town." Nick says.

"That's because they don't know the real him. " I mutter before taking a glass of my champagne. I expect Ryan to say something back but it doesn't seem like he's listening to me. In fact, he completely zoned out as he stares off towards the entrance.

I follow his gaze, wondering what him and a few other people in the room were looking at, when I see her standing at the entrance.

Talia is here.

She looks like a dream in a body-hugging silk mint green dress. The material looks familiar and I suddenly flash to when we bought it together at the fabric store. Holy Shit. She made that dress!

The wait was definitely worth it. She looks incredible. Her long dark hair is sleeked down in the front and pulled into a low ponytail. Her skin is glowing more than usual and her red lips shine.

"Wow. I gotta say it... you're a lucky man." Ryan says, sounding a little stunned. I'd be a little jealous if I didn't know without a doubt that he was in love with sister.

Talia smiles at me and I feel like I can take on the world if I have to because of it. "I know."

Like a moth drawn to a flame, I move towards her but before I can get across the room, Caitlin approaches her with Isabella in toe and they're greeting and hugging each other. I'm happy that Caitlin was able to get over Talia's age and her being one of my students, but their friendship was annoying me, especially in this moment when I wanted to keep her to myself and show her off at the same time.

"Looks like you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer." Ryan says, placing a hand over my shoulder.

"Hey son," My dad comes over, standing on my left. Ryan nods his head in acknowledgement before he walks away, leaving me alone with my dad. "Nice of you to come celebrate your old man."

"I'm here because of mom, not you." I said, under my breath.

"Who is that girl? She's stunning isn't she?" My dad says as he looks at Talia, and my insides turn. My mother, his wife is only a few feet away and he still stares with no shame at another woman who is clearly younger than he is. He will never change.

"She's mine," I turn my body around to face him. "And if I catch you looking at her again, I'll make sure this is the last birthday you celebrate." I tell him just before a photographer comes by and ask to take our photo. My father and I both put on our very best fake smiles just before the flash goes off.