15

"Nii-chan, look!"

You walked over to your brother, who was fixated on a tree. On closer inspection, it seemed that he'd found a cicada! A large on at that too, maybe even the biggest you've seen.

"That's a mighty big bug you've found there, Tooru!" You said, patting his head.

He grabbed the cicada, which was oddly calm. He turned to you with excitement in his eyes,
"I wanna show Iwa-chan! Can we take it home with us? Pleeeeeaaaaassseeee?"

"Aw, I'm sorry Tooru, but I don't think we can,"

He whined,
"Why not?! I promise I'll take good care of it!"

You closely inspected the cicada, who seemed weirdly content.
"Well Tooru, could you imagine if you were a cicada, and then a giant snatches you from your home? Imagine what how it's cicada family might feel?"

It seemed that he took your words to heart as he gently set the cicada back on its tree,
"I'm sorry cicada... you can go back home now,"

You ruffled your brothers hair,
"Good job Tooru! How about we go back inside, and play a game?"

"Really? Okay!"

As soon as he got inside the house, a bird swooped down from the sky, eating the cicada whole. You were glad that your younger brother didn't have to see it happen.

"It's time to go, Tooru,"

Your younger brother pouted,
"I don't wanna go! I wanna stay here!"

It was definitely cute to see him want to stay, but you had a train to catch.

"But what about Iwa-chan? I bet he really misses you right now. You're his best friend, aren't you?"

Thinking about his best friend missing him, Tooru relented reluctantly.
"Okay..."

You smiled at him, bringing both of your bags outside to find three children out there waiting for you.

The twins hugged your legs, looking up to you a little bit sad,
"You're leaving already?"

You chuckled, crouching down to hug them consolingly,
"Yeah, sorry you two. Make sure not to give your mom too much trouble, okay?"

They both nodded before asking,
"Will you come back to play with us again?"

Thinking about it for a moment, you decided it'd be best not to crush their hopes while also not blatantly lying.
"Maybe one day,"

That was a good enough answer for them before they began to share their goodbyes with your younger brother.

When you approached little Kita, it seemed like he had a gift for you!

"I made onigiri for ya with my grandma,"

You gave the little boy a hug,
"Aw, thank you Shinsuke! Tell your grandma I said thank you as well,"

He enjoyed your hug, and imagined this is what it'd feel like to have an older brother.

It was dark out now, and you let out a sigh of relief as you approached your house. Not only were you carrying the bags of both you and your brother, but Tooru was sound asleep on your back as well.

That wasn't to say you were doing all the heavy lifting though, as your mother was carrying a metric ton's worth of gifts and supplies given to you by your relatives, and was still somehow able to keep her composure.

Relief washed over you as you dropped your bags, setting Tooru down gently on the couch before passing out on the ground. Thankfully, your mother was strong enough to get both of you to your beds, and you slept soundly after that.

_____________________