I.VI

Everyone seemed to be in love

Everyone seemed to be in love. Catalina sat in her hospital room, bored out of her mind as she waited for Chimney to pop in.

He told her last week that he'd be bringing someone by. He also said it was a surprise so, while bored, she was also anxious.

Just as she was about to lose her mind, a knock came from the now-open door.

"Hey, kitty Cat. Your favorite firefighter has arrived." Chimney joked as he walked in, holding the door open for a woman Catalina has never seen before.

"Maddie, this is Catalina Diaz, Eddie's wife." Catalina stood up with a smile as she walked closer to the woman, who she now knew as Maddie.

"She's pretty, Chim. You guys look good together." She said as she went to sit on one side of the bed facing them as they sat down.

"Cat, this is Maddie. My friend and Buck's older sister." Maddie smiled, looking around. Chimney and Buck had filled her in on everything over time.

Buck tended to talk about Catalina whenever he wasn't complaining about his love life.

"It's nice to meet you, Catalina," Maddie spoke before looking over at Chimney, not really knowing what to say or do.

Catalina blew a cold wind her way. Maddie shuddered, "Woah." Chimney chuckled at her reaction. "We told you, didn't we?"

For the next hour, Catalina watched as Chimney and Maddie flirted with each other. A smile etched on her face as she noticed how oblivious they were to each other's feelings.

Buck had come in once just to complain about it.

Catalina walked up to Chimney's ear, hoping that what she was about to do would work again.

She could only do it once two years ago and it hasn't worked since.

She took a deep breath, leaning into close to his ear and whispering, "Ask her out, bozo." Chimney shivered, his eyes wide as he looked over to where she was standing.

Catalina squealed in excitement, happy that it finally worked.

"Cat? Was that you? You have a great horror movie voice." He joked, feeling a gust of wind from her.

Catalina laughed along as Maddie looked at him, confused.

"What happened?" Maddie asked, looking at the empty space Chimney couldn't take his eyes away front.

"Cat, she just talked to me." Maddie's eyes widened like saucers before looking over at the unconscious body in front of them.

"Wha- How?" She asked, trying very hard to wrap her head around it. Chimney laughed at s thought he just had.

"Buck and Eddie are going to be so mad they missed this." Catalina really hoped it'd work again.

She decided to try again, thinking that if she could do it one more time then she could do it again and again afterward.

With excitement coursing through her body, she walked over to Maddie just as Chimney gets up to call Eddie to tell him the good news.

It might not be, 'Hey, your wife finally woke up.' Kind of good news but it was still news he'd appreciate.

Maddie stayed sitting, confused yet excited at what just happened.

"You and Chimney are so cute together," Catalina said, excitement bubbling over as she noticed Maddie's eyes widen in shock. "Catalina? I- I thought the guys were just messing with me. This- this is amazing!" Catalina chuckled as Chimney walked back into the room with a goofy smile on his face.

"Chim? She just talked to me. I- I still can't believe this is happening." A small stretched out on her face as she said this. Chimney sat back down, taking Catalina's hand in his, and giving it a squeeze.

"Eddie and Buck will be here soon. They're gonna lose their minds." Catalina put a hand on his shoulder, that shiver down his spine bringing nothing but pleasantness.

Catalina spent the next few minutes talking to them. Chimney kept cracking jokes about how they were in a horror movie with way Catalina's voice sounded so ghostly.

After a while, the door bursts open. Buck and Eddie are huffing and puffing by the open door as they stare at Chimney and Maddie.

"Oh come on, Cat! You talked to Maddie before me? I've known you longer." He pouted, earning a laugh from everyone before Catalina walked up to his and said, "Don't worry, Buck. You're still my favorite firefighter." Buck's eyes widened as a smile spred on his face.

"Ha! Eat that guys! She just said I'm her favorite!" He says smuggle before going to sit in an armchair in a corned of the room.

Catalina watched as her husband looked around in anticapation. It'd been so long since he heard her voice outside of old videos. He had missed it so much. She walked up close to him, her arms on his shoulder, as she says, "Hola, mi amor. I miss you so much." Tears prickled his eyes as a shiver went down his spine.

Buck, Maddie, and Chimney took this as a sigh to leave; to give the couple some very needed time alone.

Eddie sat down in Chimney's empty seat as he took a hold of her hand. He ran his fingers through her hair.

"Cata, I miss you so much too. I can't believe I can hear you now." Catalina sat in Maddie's empty seat next to him, leaning her head on his shoulder so she could talk to him. "I've always been here. You guys just couldn't hear me." Eddie couldn't fight the stray tear that fell nor the goofy smile that etched across his face. 

He always knew she was around, he could feel her, but it was great to have that conforemation.

"I'm just glad to know you're around. It would be better if you were awake," They chuckled, "But this is better than nothing." Catalina hummed, "I don't know how long this will last though. I'm guessing just for today. Like last time."

Eddie shook his head, "I don't care how long it last. I get to hear your voice now and that's more than I could ever ask for." Catalina couldn't help as a tear slipped down her face.

"I love you so much, Edmundo." She whispers, wishing she could hug him for real. Wish she could feel his arms wrap tightly around her.

"I love you too, Catalina and I'll wait. I'l wait for as long as I have to." He promised her, reassuring her of any fears she had.

---

Short chapter but I promise that the next one will be longer!

Hope you guys are enjoying this book as much as I enjoy writing it and thank you so much for all the support you've all been showing it!

-HS.*