II.IV

Catalina followed Buck and Christopher from afar

Catalina followed Buck and Christopher from afar. The argument with Eddie really made her think for a second.

Am I not trying enough? Can I seriously just wake back up if I try hard enough? She thought to herself for the hundredth time, beating herself up over and over again. Things with Eddie had been rough lately, Catalina couldn't help but think the worst.

She sat down on a bench, watching as Buck played one of those water shooter games with Christopher to win a stuffed animal. A soft smile etched onto her face at the sight of Christopher so carefree and happy. She hadn't seen that look in so long, all she wanted is for Christopher to feel carefree and happy always.

Even if that meant she would have to let herself finally die.

Flashback...

Catalina sat with Eddie's abuela in their backyard, the Texas summer finally catching up to them as they turned on the standing fan.

"Mija, you're getting so big. Are you sure you're ready?"  Isabel, Eddie's abuela, asked as she caressed Catalina's swollen stomach where her great-grandson, Christopher, was. Catalina hummed as she looked up into the clouds, beyond the roofing of the porch.

"I am. Eddie and I talked about having kids way before I got pregnant. Lo viste, está más emocionado que yo." Isabel laughed along with Catalina, knowing how true it was.

(You saw him, he's more excited than I am.)

Catalina wasn't lying either. Eddie finished setting up the nursery in a week as a surprise to her last month. It was a cute gesture that had Catalina sobbing in her husband's arms for an hour.

She loved Eddie with her entire heart and couldn't wait for their precious son, Christopher, to come into the world so they could watch him grow up together. It made her giggle in excitement at the thought of seeing all of his firsts.

His first walk and his first word. Hell, even the first time he eats solid food was something she was excited to witness. Catalina was in full first-mom mode.

"Estan hablando de mi?" They heard Eddie say as she opened the glass door and walked out. He kissed his abuela's cheek in greeting before kissing his wife on the lips and stomach as a hello to his son. 

(Are you talking about me?)

Catalina and Isabel laughed as he took a seat next to his wife, holding her hand in his gently. Isabel watched them in adoration as Eddie laid his hand gently on his wife's pregnant belly, looking up at his wife in surprise as he felt Christopher kick his feet.

"Already so protective of his mama." Eddie chuckled as Catalina placed her hand on top of his. Isabel smiled lovingly, pulling out her phone to snap a quick picture of the loving couple as they smiled down at Catalina's pregnant stomach.

They spent the rest of the afternoon outside chatting about Christopher and guessing what kind of child he would be.

Once the sun started setting, Isabel said her goodbyes and went home, leaving the little family to spend the night to themselves. 

Catalina sighed as she sat down on the couch, ready to watch one of her favorite movies with Eddie for the fiftieth time this month. Eddie groaned jokingly as he sat down next to her, putting him around her shoulder so she could cuddle into his side. 

"A walk to remember? Again? Don't you cry at the end every single time?" Eddie teased as he passed his wife her platter of pregnant-friendly fruits. She wasn't the biggest fan of popcorn before her pregnancy and it became even worse once he got pregnant. Even the smell made her nauseous.

Catalina hummed as she nodded happily, popping a piece of pear into her mouth. Her favorite fruit. "I do but this movie is just too good." Eddie gently pulled her closer to him, being careful of her belly as he kissed her temple. "You've always had a taste for things that make you cry."  Catalina laughed, knowing how right he was.

He pressed play on the movie, and the happy couple cuddled closely on the couch as the film began; a loose blanket was thrown over them due to the AC but it was too hot outside to even think of turning it off.

"Eddie?" Catalina spoke as she stroked her swollen stomach, a sudden thought coming to her that she hadn't really thought of until now. Eddie hummed, not prying his eyes away from the TV. No matter how much he complained, he secretly enjoyed the movie almost as much as his wife did.

"What if something happens to me during birth?" She kept her voice steady, not wanting to cry at the idea of something happening to either her or Christopher during childbirth. She knew that there was a possibility of there being complications but the doctor had assured her that the chances her slim.

She was healthy and so was Christopher so birth shouldn't be more complicated than it already is.

"What? Why are you bringing that up?" Eddie asked, pausing the movie as he faced his wife, now worried as to what could've prompted this. Catalina shook her head as she gave him a soft smile as held his rough hand in hers for comfort. "I'm just saying. There's always the possibility that something might get complicated and we'll have to choose between saving my life or Christopher's. I want you to promise me that if that choice had to be made," Catalina took a deep breath as she looked into her husband's worried brown eyes.

"I want you to choose Christopher. I can die happy knowing my son is safe and in the hands of his loving father but I don't think I could live with myself knowing that I could've saved him." Eddie hated everything that she was saying. He hated that she would have to worry about such a thing.

Eddie shook his head as he brought her into his chest, holding her closer so her ear was against his heart as he kissed the top of her head. "I love you, Cata. I'll always choose you, no matter what." Catalina lifted her head to protest but Eddie shook his head to stop her, signaling to let him finish.

"I know you love Christopher and you'd do anything for him, I would too but I'd rather save my wife than my unborn child." -- "But why?" Catalina quickly asked, needing to know the reasoning behind his answer. "Because we can always make another baby, mi vida. But, there will never be another you. There will never be another Catalina Diaz that I'm madly in love with. I can't without you and, I'm sorry if my answer upset you but I'd choose you over anything a hundred times over." Catalina couldn't help the tears that fell. This truly loved her as much as he said and showed and she didn't know how she got so lucky.

"Enough of this though because Christopher is going to be born a beautiful and healthy boy and you're going to have a speedy recovery. So, no crying over an unrealistic future where you're not around and cry over the movie you love so much." Catalina laughed as she sniffled, punching him in the chest lightly at his teasing.

"I love you, Edmundo." She whispered as she cuddled into her husband's hold. "I love you too, Catalina. So much." He whispered back as he played the movie and pulled her as close to him as possible, always loving having her close.

Eddie couldn't imagine a life without her, a life where it was just him and Christopher. Catalina was his entire life and as much as he loved his unborn son, his wife would always be number one. She was the love of his life.