II.I

(Disclaimer: Act two will be a ton of flashbacks and actual moments from the show like the tsunami episodes and so on. But, the majority of it will be just flashbacks from Catalina's past.)

Catalina had been spending a lot of time alone in the hospital room but time alone meant more time spent trying to wake up

Catalina had been spending a lot of time alone in the hospital room but time alone meant more time spent trying to wake up. She was getting slightly better; her muscles no longer hurt when she tried to move a finger.

She could tell this was starting to get to Eddie. Three years in a coma and it was finally starting to get to him. If it wasn't for Christopher loving her so much, she felt Eddie would've run for the hills already. That thought alone made her want to wake up.

"Come on! Why isn't this working?!" Catalina said, getting frustrated as she bounced out of her body and into the armchair next to the bed. "Hasn't three years been enough?!" She screamed to the heavens, hoping something or someone up there could hear her.

She ran her hands through her long hair, frustrated with everything. She looked over by the window, watching as flower petals fell from the withering tulips.

Eddie had been really distant lately but Catalina chalked it up to him being busy with work. His abuela still brought Christopher around to see her whenever she could but Eddie rarely showed up anymore.

Her husband, the love of her life, was starting to give up on her and it felt like her world was falling apart.

Tears streamed down her face at the thought. Catalina didn't want it to be true but just by the way his abuela acted whenever she came and Christopher made sure not to mention his dad.

"Why can't I just wake up?!" She screamed at the top of her lungs and suddenly, she was in her body, awake.

She gasped for air, looking around the room frantically as the heart monitor started beating rapidly. Doctors and nurses ran into the room, surrounding her as they checked her vitals and started probing her with needles.

"Mrs. Diaz, can you hear me?" Catalina could hear one of the nurses ask but her voice was muffled. Everything sounded like it was underwater. "Y-Yes." She answered, her throat dry and her voice hoarse from not having used it in three years.

Catalina couldn't believe what was happening. She was awake; finally awake! She looked at all the doctors and nurses that works on her, relieved that they could see her and hear her for once. She'd had so many one-sided conversations with so many of them before.

But, Catalina could feel something wrong. She could feel her consciousness slowly slipping away again. 

She was falling back into the coma.

"What's going on here?! Catalina!?" Eddie's voice boomed through the room. She could barely see him through the hustle and bustle of hospital staff in the small room. "Eddie." She said as loudly as she could, which wasn't very loud at all, but he still heard her.

"Oh my god, you're awake." He said happily as he quickly went to his wife's side, trying to hold back tears as he looked into her beautiful eyes again. It'd been so long since he'd seen them open and he swore they were just as beautiful as ever.

Catalina smiled up at him as a single tear fell down her cheek. Eddie couldn't help the wave of emotions that hit him. He was a crying mess. "Edmundo, no llores." Catalina said, raising a shaky hand up to wipe his tears. He chuckled as he leaned into her warm touch, holding her pale hand against his face.

(Edmundo, don't cry.)

"I was so scared, mi vida." Eddie confessed as he caressed her soft hair. Nurses and doctors continued to work around them but the happy couple was too stuck in their own little world to care. "I'm sorry for scaring you. But," Catalina took a deep breath. "I don't know how long I'll be awake." Eddie looked at her, confused. 

"What do you mean? You just woke up, Cata." He was getting scared and the sad smile on his wife's face wasn't helping. "I know but I can f-feel myself falling back in. I wanna stay away, I swear but, I'm just not strong enough." Catalina felt her heart break as she told her husband the truth. She would do anything to stay awake and go home with him and Christopher but the luck just wasn't on her side.

Eddie shook his head before tenderly kissing her forehead. "You're the strongest woman I've ever met. You can push through this and," Eddie struggled to finish his sentence, not wanting it to be true. "and even if you fall back into the coma. I'll wait. You know I'll wait for as long as you need." The four-year mark was coming up soon. They were terrified that they'd go past it.

The heart monitor's beeping started slowing down and that just made Eddie's heart beat faster. He'd just gotten the love of his life back, he wasn't ready to let her go again.

"Eddie, te amo. I love yo-" But before she could finish speaking, her eyes rolled to the back of her head and she started convulsing violently. He'd seen this countless times don't he field and knew what to do but watching his wife go through it made him freeze up.

(Eddie, I love you.)

The heart monitor was beating quickly, causing doctors and nurses to rush in again. Two male nurses prying him away from his wife. 

"Cata?! Catalina!" Eddie screamed as he struggled against the two men, wanting to get back to his wife. They closed the door on him as soon as they got him out of the room. He pulled at his hair, stressed, as he stared through the little window of the door, watching as they moved Catalina onto her side and worked on keeping her alive.

I didn't get to tell her I loved her back. He thought to himself as he leaned against the wall next to the door, letting the tears fall freely as he listed to the doctor's yell orders in the room. He didn't know what was going to happen next.

He didn't know whether he'd have to tell Christopher that his mother was gone or have to wait more time for her to wake up. 

Eddie didn't know what to do--what to think anymore.

What he did know is that he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he ever lost Catalina.