II.VIII

Eddie woke up to a single tear rolling down his face

Eddie woke up to a single tear rolling down his face. He dreamt about Catalina again.

Except this time, it was more of a memory.

He dreamt about the first time he met her, it reminded him of all those feelings he felt the second he laid his eyes on her. She was, and still is, the most beautiful woman he has ever met.

He sat on the edge of his bed, letting out a sigh as he looked over at his bedside table where a picture stood of a smiling Catalina. She was a white sundress with yellow flowers printed on it as she looked at him behind the camera with the most loving look in her eyes.

They had only been dating for six months when he took that photo and it was still one of his favorites.

He hadn't spoken to Buck properly since he went to the hospital to meet his daughter. It was still odd to think about. Catalina, even in a coma, had done something beyond good. His love for her never faltered and this only made it stronger.

Tilly was scarily like Catalina. She truly was their daughter, even if they didn't share any blood. 

Tilly would've come home with him and Christopher that day but the doctors said she had to stay for another week for a few more check up and physical therapy sessions. In the meantime, his friends from the station had helped him set up the only free room in the house to be a suitable bedroom for a teenage girl.

Thankfully, they had a spare room in the house. They had bought the house that way in hopes that they'd try for another once Christopher was older and, even with the circumstances that arose, their dreams came true. 

He tried to contact Tilly's biological parents on multiple occasions just to talk to them and maybe even get some of her things from her old room to bring into her new one. He guessed she had things there that she misses and would love to keep but, they never answered the phone and never responded to his emails.

It was heartbreaking. They had seemingly left their daughter to die. It reminded him of Catalina's parents. After a year, they up and left her. Granted, they rarely cared for her while she was awake, let alone in a coma. 

Yet, even through that, he knew Catalina couldn't bring herself to hate her parents completely because, at the end of the day, they were still her parents. It was brutal.

He got ready for the day, deciding to head over to Buck's apartment to talk. He could tell something was eating at him whenever they had a shift together and Buck wasn't going to outright say it if Eddie didn't ask first.

He got Christopher ready quickly before they had a quick breakfast and headed toward Buck's place. There were still no signs of Catalina either, which was starting to worry everyone. Usually, she'd hang around one person at a time or get stuck in the hospital but, no matter where she was, Eddie always felt her in his heart, and yet, all he felt was emptiness.