5 | a statement

Charlotte had spent the morning with Polly, Betty and Flora with the three adults just catching up. Betty rarely got out the house and rarely spoke to anyone apart from the immediate family anymore. With Flora and everything else shes always so busy and always claims she simply doesn't have the time anymore. When they was all younger it was different, Betty was just as close with the Shelby's as the rest of them are. Which is why Charlotte was always bugging her to visit them or come along with her whenever she was going round. On a rare occasion like today she managed to convince her. Unfortunately, Charlotte had left the pair early with Flora as she had promised them that she would take them to the annual fair that started today. She strolled into her house, that was seemingly empty while Flora waited on the steps outside drawing on the pavement with a piece of chalk.

Walking into the kitchen she rolled her eyes, a gun was placed carelessly on the table. She let out an annoyed huff before going over to move it to a more sensible place out of reach and sight, "Who leaves guns laying around in a house that is half taken up by children?" She spoke out loud to herself, picking the gun up.

"I guess I do." Alex emerged from the living room, scaring Charlotte half to death and making her physically jump.

"Alex!" She screamed and tapped him on the forehead with bottom of the gun, "Don't do that."

"Hey! Give me my gun you lunatic." He snatched the gun out Charlotte's hand, "Waving that thing around so carelessly." He tutted.

"Leaving that thing around so carelessly." She mimicked, making Alex roll his eyes.

"You could've shot me then!" Scoffed Alex, "That would be a headache of a conversation with Betty." 

"You are so dramatic." Charlotte smiled and rolled her eyes, walking over to grab her bag filled with everything she needed that was left on the kitchen table. "Where you off too?" She asked noticing he had his coat on.

"The fair." Alex answered.

Charlotte giggled, "You're going to the fair by yourself?"

"Not by myself." Defended Alex. "With Tommy, John and Arthur."

This made Charlotte laugh loudly, "Didn't realise the fair was such a popular outing for four grown men."

Alex rolled his eyes at how entertaining his sister found it, before he could defend himself she spoke up again, "Well I'm off to find the twins to take them to the fair with Flora, you know the children." She grabbed her coat and headed for the front door, "Stop leaving the guns around the house!" She shouted over her shoulder.

》* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ • 。* 。° 。* 。 • ˚《

Charlotte had spent almost the whole day at the fair with her younger siblings, they had the best time and the whole way home they wouldn't stop thanking her for taking them. They were skipping ahead with massive smiles plastered across there faces. Charlotte had a constant smile on her own face just from seeing them so happy. The smile was quickly wiped when she saw the distraught faces on peoples faces as they got closer to home. She looked around in confusion, front doors were open and when she glanced in the homes noticing that they were completely trashed. People were crowding the streets, there were shouts and conflicts breaking out left right and centre.

"Danny, 'Liza, Flora!" She shouted, all three of them had halted up ahead seeing the chaos. They turned around at there sisters shout and ran back down to her. Charlotte picked Flora up straight away, holding Dan's hand with her free one and Eliza gripped onto her coat.