24 | all for you

It was a quiet shift at the Garrison, Charlotte was mindlessly wiping the same spot on the bar that she had been for the past twenty minutes and Grace was sat at one of the tables folding clothes up. Charlotte had kept it brief with her, they hadn't spoke much apart from a polite greeting and the odd passing word as they worked. Charlotte wasn't confrontational she wasn't going to accuse or argue at Grace, she was just going to keep her at arms length while also keeping a closer eye on what she was getting up to. Finally the door opened, both Charlotte and Grace looked over at the door hoping for a customer. 

"Oh, hello John." Charlotte deflated and went back to scrubbing at the same spot.

John laughed, "Wow Charley, I just love how excited you get to see me."

Charlotte shook her head as she'd chuckled, "We've had no customers for ages it's been dead today, I thought we were finally having a rush."

"Sorry to disappoint." John held his hands up.

"Don't be silly, you are never a disappointment John." Charlotte perked up, "Now what can I get you?" She smiled cheerfully.

"The usual." Answered John.

Charlotte nodded and made his drink, John spoke up again when she slid the glass over. "You okay? I know you was unfortunate enough to have a run in with my Dad."

Charlotte's eyes widened at John, she put a finger up to her lips and nodded over to Grace. It was silly, there wasn't much she could do with the information that the Shelby's father was back in town but she was just being cautious. John looked back and noticed Grace, he turned back to Charlotte and nodded but still looked unsure. "Everybody round here never listens to me." She whispered harshly. "I've already told you about her, she's feeding information to someone. I don't know who or what or why but she is. We need to be careful what we say around her, I dont trust her."

"Right." Whispered John, still looking unsure.

"Stop looking at me like I'm crazy." Whispered Charlotte.

"I'm not!" Replied John, Charlotte whacked him with the towel for his lack of whispering. "Christ alright." He whispered. "You are crazy."

Charlotte scoffed lightly and faked a laugh, John rolled his eyes. "Anyway." He whispered. John reached out and touched Charlotte's hand, "Alex told me about what he said, he bought up some painful stuff. Wanted to check on you."

Charlotte smiled, "I'm alright honestly. I should be checking on you, you're the one whose Dad turned up randomly years after running away."

John shrugged, "He doesn't get to me anymore. I couldn't care less about him."

Charlotte nodded, "You know I'm here though."

John smiled, "I know. Likewise, you know that Charley."

"Hopefully he leaves soon, just adding more complications to everything." 

John sighed with a nod, "Hopefully. Not bloody likely thanks to Arthur though. He's clinging to him like we're ten years old again."

"He's always been close with him. He's always wanted him around, he's the only one out of all of you that would ever accept your Dad back with open arms. So your Dad's using that. Arthur's smart though, he'll realise soon enough that it's better without him. Just give him time."

John nodded, "Tommy didn't take it well. Kicked him straight out the house."

"Not surprised."

"Now him and Arthur aren't speaking." 

"Everything will be okay when he leaves. Don't worry, it wont be long." Charlotte smiled at John and stroked his arm reassuringly.

"Right I only had time for one, best be off."