22 | everything to nothing

Charlotte hadn't spoke to Tommy in a week, ever since the night Ada gave birth. Ever since the night she saw just how far Tommy had changed. There wasn't really a way to describe how she was feeling, it just hurt a lot. She went on about her life as normal though doing her best to avoid the empty ache she felt constantly. For the first time Charlotte could truly see no reconciliation with Tommy, as much as that pained her to say, this time she couldn't forgive how far he had gone. It's weird for her to believe that they just wouldn't exist in each others life's anymore. Like nothing had ever happened between them. How could something be nothing when at one point it was everything? 

"This is so wrong." Mumbled Charlotte, her and Polly were bringing a basket of food to Ada. "Ada has just had a baby, this should be the happiest time of her life. Instead she's locked herself away in a dingy basement because she can't cope with the pain of Freddie being taken away. All this pain inflicted by her own brother as well. It's just so unfair, it's cruel."

"I know love." Sighed Polly.

The pair reached the door to see the rotten basket of food outside that they had left a few days prior, "She's not eating either." Tutted Charlotte in a whisper, "She's just had a baby she needs to look after herself."

Charlotte picked up the rotting basket while Polly placed the new one down. "Open up, Ada. I brought more things for you and the baby. I've got some fresh eggs and bread."

Polly received no response so she continued, "Charley's here too."

"Ada, please come out."

The pair were met with a silence, Polly sighed. "We'll leave it here then."

"We'll keep coming Ada, I know it's hard for you right now. You can take your time, we'll be here whenever you're ready." Said Charlotte.

Polly and Charlotte arrived back at the Shelby family home, Charlotte collapsed onto the sofa feeling exhausted. Polly chuckled and took a seat beside her, "Tired?"

"Always lately." Mumbled Charlotte. Truthfully she hadn't been getting any sleep at all she was ten times more stressed than usual. She was worrying about Ada, the new baby and then all her complicated conflicted feelings about Tommy. So much had happened and changed in such a short amount of time she barely had chance to process something before something worse was happening.

Polly sighed and put an arm around Charlotte letting her rest her head against her shoulder, she stroked her hair comfortingly. "Are you ok Charley?"

"Yeah." Mumbled Charlotte, it was an instant reply.

"Alright, if you say so. You need to be looking after yourself too though, not just everyone else. You're important too. Now, I can't fix what I don't know but I am right here if you need me, I want my happy Charley back." Spoke Polly kindly. The last thing Charlotte wanted to do was take extra time for herself. She didn't want to think about everything that had gone on with Tommy she wanted to ignore it and hope it went away eventually. It hurt too much to face it. She was happy to distract herself by worrying extra about everything else going on, that's why shed been helping more with the kids lately and doing extra shifts at the garrison and helping Polly as much as she could especially with Ada. Naturally she was a helper, she liked to do all those things it was just an added bonus that it distracted her which is why she was taking on twice the amount than she usually would.

"I'm trying Pol." Charlotte smiled weakly. "There's just so much happening at once. Before I've got chance to cope with whats happening another thing happens. I can't keep up with it all."

"I think everyone feels like that at the moment. Not everyone has to deal with Tommy as much as you have though. I can take a guess that he's the reason for the extra shift in your mood lately."