( 𝟒𝟑 ) 𝐛etter 𝐭han 𝐫evenge

Kenma's porch light blared brightly into the windshield of my car

Kenma's porch light blared brightly into the windshield of my car. It was like those dramatic movie scenes that had tense music building up in the background. To paraphrase, it was insanely nerve-wracking.

As an over thinker, my brain was definitely working over time right now.

I hurried got out, dragging along my bag and hoodie, then rapping on the door with my firm first.

Calm. Calm. Ask him. No biggie.

Kenma stood in the doorframe with his arm overhead, leaning forward into my face with a lazy grin. He look like he had just awoken from a nap.

I breathed out. Part of me half expected to catch him out and about... I didn't want to think about that anymore.

"Hi, pretty," Kenma leaned forward, planting a kiss right in the middle of my forehead, pulling me in by my arm like a kid, "You're kinda late so I was dozing off." He smelled like fresh laundry.

I carefully composed myself, leaning against the kitchen island as he hovered above me, his knee between my legs and his arms trapping me beneath his slender frame.

My pulse raced, "Lexi."

I was firm. I glared upwards at the faux-blonde. His eyes widened in shock but then it dissolved into confusion.

"Lexi?" He repeated her name, "What? What are you-" He paused again, seeing my eyes well up. I felt like a big baby. I didn't know how to handle my own emotions. I didn't know shit. Maybe I am a big baby.

"Ko, she- you? Ugh, did she and you date?" I eyed him as my straight forward words rolled into his ears.

"No! We used to be in the same study group," He pulled back from the counter, retracting his steps and leaning against the opposing kitchen wall, "Fuck, where is this coming from?"

I bit my inner cheek, "She said some things... and you-" I didn't continue. I didn't want to jump to conclusions and risk it all. Accusing him of things was not going to get me anywhere, "I think she was trying to mess with my head or something..." I felt shitty.

"What did she say?"

He sounded insanely frustrated, his words came out like nails on a chalkboard. Harsh and direct.

"That you used to be close," I mumbled, "And how you can't stick to one girl," I made eye contact with him finally, "And that you aren't very trustworthy."

"Fuck..." He turned his head away but I saw the dampness in his eyes. The iridescent sheen that flowed under the orange light of the kitchen ceiling.

"Listen to me," He approached me again, his hand taking my jaw in his slender fingers, "I was never close with her. We didn't Date like the rumors said. She is irrelevant to me, especially when you are right here. Stop crying it's killing me." He mumbled the last bit while wiping the now streaming tears. He was gentle.

"But you know her?"

"Yes, a while ago," He didn't break eye contact and that made me feel reassured, "But I never liked her much. She's a pick me who puts down other women so men like her more. She's probably mad that I never fell for that idiotic shit." He scoffed, still rubbing circles into my damp cheek.

I couldn't stop the giggle that escaped my lips, "Shit, now I feel dumb crying like this," I sniffled but the tears didn't stop rolling.

"You're not dumb," He said with a slight grin, "Okay, maybe sometimes you are."

"Wow, thank you," I said sarcastically.

He tutted, moving my face towards his before planting a light kiss on my lips. Lingering in that position for a long moment.

"Wait-" I retracted, my hands pushing him back from his firm shoulders. His blonde locks swayed to the side as he curiously eyed me, "This is gonna sound crazy but who were you texting the other day?" I held my ground, anxiously waiting for an answer.

"...Lexi."

Tonight is a fucking rollercoaster. I felt my stomach drop to my feet.

 I felt my stomach drop to my feet