6.2

Renée called home.

Embarassed to be asking her parents for some money because the ninety dollar weekly allowance just would not do. Her hair treatment was too expensive alone.

Asking them for anything was never embarassing. But it was merely the question marks that her request raised that could be considered as embarassing. They knew she was working but how would she explain but she was not making quite enough. At least her mother didn't bombaree her with much questions.

Instead, she ranted about her week and awful neighbours that were currently cutting open a cow on the front lawn with the loudest possible music playing.

She asked Renée about Chan. Much to her discomfort. Ranting about whether he'd make it to their anniversary celebration.

She really didn't know how to break the news to her because her parents adored him. She'd argue that they might even love him as much as her.

They often joked to Renée at dinners that they'd get married because of how inseparable the two of them are. How would she explain that she cut things off with him because she didn't want that life they often invisioned about her. How does to break it to them that she wanted to be off doing what she's currently doing for the rest of her life, just after asking them for money.

Now just wasn't the perfect time to break it to her mother.

She let down her pride and buzzed Chan after the call. The last they'd spoken was in the comment section of Felix's post. Before that, it was just about a month ago.

They didn't have much to talk about then. But today, she had reason. One more embarrassing than asking her mother for money. Asking for money was one thing but calling Chan for this was something else. She hoped Chan didn't pick up.

He picked up.

"—Hey Chan."

"Renée... Oh, hey. How are you?"

"I'm good. And you?"

"Same old. Nothing new. I wasn't expecting your call. Do you need anything?"

"Yes actually. Um..." Why was she so nervous? "Actually, my mom is hosting this thing, anniversary party. She needs some help, and she wants to know if you're able to help out?"

"Oh that... She messaged me about it a few days ago."

"She did?"

"Yep. She hasn't decided on a theme yet so I'm not much help yet. All she sends me are color palettes and hypotheticals decoration options so I'm guessing I still have some time till I'm actually useful."

"Oh, typical of her. So indecisive." She laughed. "I wished she told me you agreed earlier."

"She thinks we talk so it didn't occur to her to clarify that. I guessed you didn't tell her so I played the part."

"Oh thank you. It'd be embarassing if I kept on with the lie if you already told them that we're done."

"It would be. So I'm guessing you're not planning on telling them anytime soon?"

"I will tell them, of course. I just need to gather myself."

"I get that. But... it has been long Renée. What about telling Jessica.
I have to bear the weight of keeping the lie. It's not something I like doing."

"I know I'm sorry. I didn't mean to, it's just I haven't found the right time."

"You have to. Because she's really insistent. I'm struggling to pretend that we talk like before. I think that's one level, with your family... It's not something I want to interact with anymore."

"What do you mean? Do you not want to associate with them anymore?"

"No I do. I still have respect for them. We are friends right. It's just that... Forget it."

"What?"

"They have certain expectations from me, from our previous relationships. Your dad, he's really entrusting me in a way I should not be. I just don't want to lie to your parents. How do you feel lying to your parents about something like this?"

"I'm not lying. Now just not the right time."

"When will be the right time. When will you tell anyone?"

"Soon Chan. Don't fret."

"I'm not."

"But you keep demanding and pushing for a time. I need time."

"You need to make up your mind."

"About what?"

"You're indecisive, it's causing me a lot of confusion. If there's something you need to make up your mind on, do it."

"I will. Gosh. If you don't want to be around my parents either then don't be around them. It's not an obligation."

"It shouldn't be. I'll show help your mom out. But that's because it's something that I want to do."

"Thank you." She let out "I have to go now."

"Bye."

"Bye." The line went silent. Tense than she'd ever experience before.

Forget Chan. And his friendliness and his life that always seems to be in order. He probably was so done with her, that's why he kept pushing hee away, because he was trying to move forward.

Well, so should she.