8.2

November
2 years ago

Chan at some point reached his lowest, darkest. But he'd come out from that pit after a lot of work on himself and some crying.

He picked himself up after some time. When the awkward calls come less till there was none at all. After Jessica's insistence nags eventually died down. The group got ingulfed in Felix's risque situationship that came and gone. Which might have been the raunchiest thing the group had witnessed the younger boy do.

Truth is, Chan just blocked Renée from his mind like tape to a leaky pipe. It was risky but it'd do for the time being.

He picked up work easily after he graduated just as Renée assured him but he wouldn't think about that. For once in the year, it seemed like he was getting himself together. Getting a clear head. That was no longer clouded with her scent.

A year had passed. The sun was burning high up in the sky, indicating the nearing of yet another Christmas season.

He got busy with family, and work. He barely got time to think about her anymore. Then he got that phone call.

"Jessica?"

"Holy smokes, Chan. Renée's coming back."

"Huh?" Exhaustion took over his senses as he'd just woken up from a night nap.

"Yeah, didn't she tell you? Actually her flight wasn't until early January but she said she wanted to be here before Christmas. I hope I'm not ruining the suprise by telling you."

"Not at all. If she wanted me to know she'd have told me." It came out more bitter than intended.

"A year has passed already. Gosh, time really does fly. I really hope I'm not spoiling some surprise because I'm sure you'd have known."

"Don't worry about that."

"Great then. Do you want to escort me to the airport then? Maybe you can show her your new apartment afterwards. She said that she wasn't sure if she wanted to go—"

"We broke up."

There it was. Out in the open. Lingering between their silence like danger.

"Um... What? I don't understand." A confused laughed escaped the phone. "You're joshing right?"

"No. We're done."

"When was this?"

"A little while ago."

"Wait, wait... I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, how you feel about this. Are you okay? What happened exactly? Can we talk about it?"

"Honestly. I'm not in the position to tell you about it. I feel Ray is more equipped in telling the tale to you."

Jessica breathed through the phone. "Oh okay. I really wasn't expecting that. So... You're not picking her up from the airport?"

"I don't think any of us will want that Jess."

"Oh sure. But at least tell me if you guys are still okay with each other. You will be coming to Hyunjin welcome back thing we're having at the bar. Right?"

Chan was stunned. He'd never had to be asked this. They'd have to meet. After an entire year.

____________

"Oh em gee, hey! Ray, you look stunning!" Jessica ambushed her with a hug as soon as they caught sight of her.

Felix helped with the luggage, immediately taking it off her hands. "She does? How did you get hotter? How? Your jaw is sharper, your skin is brighter, what are they feeding you?"

"That's a secret." Renée joked. "And you, you dyed your hair?"

"These are just highlights. Come on." Felix's sass had already shown itself.

"It looks good."

"How was your flight?" Jessica quipped.

"So cramped that I thought I would actually burst into tears."

"You just be tired. Let's get you home asap. You won't mind if you lodge at my house right?"

"Of course not. Is Dustin at the car?"

"No, he got stuck at work but we'll probably met him at home. If he reaches home early enough, he'll make something for you to munch on before bed."

"Oh there's no need. I got my fill on flight food."

"Airplane food? Barf." Felix teased.

"And Chan?" Renée voice was a little hesitant at that.

"I think he's busy as well."

"Oh."

"His does it feel. Chan is now a working man and you're a model. Things really are falling into place for you two."

"Right."

They reach home and the talk. Felix not waiting to leave until it was near late.

As promised, Renée was graced with a home cooked meal from Dustin. They sat around the table and chatted for hours. Asking, practically interrogating her for details of her adventure.

It felt good to be back.

When she was alone, ready for bed. Jessica stood by the door, watching her like she was a mother looking down at her child. Around her, she felt like she was.

"Are you done for the day. Do you need anything else?"

"No thanks. I'm good."

"Great to here. I really, really missed you." She sat on the bed. "It was so hard communicating with you sometimes, I thought it was intentional."

"I know. It's funny how much distance can comprise a relationship this much."

"Right? But just know that I'll always be for you, no matter how far we are."

"Same. You're my best friend Jess."

Jessica pushed a single braid behind her ear.

"You know, Chan told me. About the breakup."

"He did. When?" Her eyes widened.

"A few days ago. I just want to get filled in. What happened? Why did you breakup?"

"We wanted different things. Not being together was the better option."

"You decided to break up just when you were coming? Could you not have talked about it in person first?"

"We did talk about it in person. Jessica, we broke up about a year ago."

"What? Why did you keep it from me? For so long?"

"I didn't plan on it I swear. We broke up during your wedding so I really didn't want to take attention away from your moment. And I just got so embarassed to talk about it after."

"I wasn't ever going to judge you for it.

"I know."

She hugs her.

"Are you mad at me though, be honest? I understand if you are."

"How can I be? I think I only have distance to blame for the communication issues we were having. If you were here, you'd tell me. Right."

"Right."

"Well, I am a little mad though. You two broke up on my wedding day. Do you both not know that's a bad omen."

"Is it?"

"Come on, it has to be."

Renée laughed.