Act One - Scene 3: Just a dream?

⚠️ Disclaimer: I still do not own anything besides my mistakes. Only using the plot and characters for fun.⚠️

~•~•~

I may look like I'm a heavy sleeper but even the slightest of sounds can rouse me. In this case, it was the sound of my bed creaking just as it dips at the foot. Grumbling, I suck in a deep breath before rolling over. There sat Wednesday, looking...was that smug? I blink a few times to rid myself of the sleep that still riddled me before sitting up and leaning against the headboard. One of my hands rubbed at my right eye.

"Good evening Wednesday. To what do I owe this wonderful nightly visit?" I ask, sarcasm lacing my tone. Wednesday was unfazed.

"The Nightshades."

Silence spreads through my room and that's when I realized that she wasn't going to go into more depth. "Uh...huh. Okay, and didn't Ms. Thornhill say they disbanded years ago?"

Wednesday keeps the look for a little while longer before her lips part and a tiny sigh slips free. She looks down and holds out a book to me. I take it without question.

"Is this the book you saw?"

"It is."

I still wasn't sure what was going on. And then, she holds up a mask. It was in the shape of feathers and the nose had a beak, like a masquerade mask. I raise a brow as I look at it only to snap my gaze back to my visitor.

"Did you just come from a masquerade or something?"

"Do I look like I'm wearing the proper attire for a dance?"

My face melts into a neutral look as I click my tongue and look down at the book in my lap before opening it to the very middle of the pages where the ripped page sat.

"Okay smart ass. Are you gonna fill in the blanks for me or am I gonna have to guess my way to the answer?"

"I do enjoy keeping my victims guessing, which makes for a great chase."

My hand lines the photo up with the tear, "hardy har har," i mumble.

"I am going to assume by your lack of knowledge on any of this that you're not part of the Nightshades."

My head lifts while giving Wednesday a bored look. "Do I look like I'd be part of some finicky group?"

Her large eyes sweep down my face and torse and then back up again, what was that look? It's the second time she's given it to me and somehow it makes me feel comfortable yet uncomfortable. She just hums.

"What's your relationship with Xavier?"

My brows knit together at the question, why was she asking me this?

"Well, he became my first friend here in Nevermore when I started. And then I met Enid a few months later."

"Would you say you and Xavier are close?"

Really, why was she asking me all of this? I felt like I had swallowed barbed wire at the thought of her being interested in him. Though I pushed the feelings down to answer honestly.

"He's like a brother to me, I'd say best friends but Enid takes that title. More like really good friends"

"You might want to reconsider your friendship with Xavier then."

"Why? What'd he do this time?"

Wednesday just raised her left brow in interest at the thought before adding her reasoning.

"Tonight, while I went in search of more clues. I found a riddle in the book that Poe was holding."

"The statue I found you sitting on?"