Chapter 7 - Abra Kadabra

The cave is filled with an air of impatience, Kaldur and Superboy are training  while the girls talk and wally stuffs his face.

"But you know who would make the cutest couple?" M'Gann asks Artemis, after she suggested she ask out Kaldur. "You, and Wally" She teases. I listen entertained. "You'r eso full of passion, and he's so full of..."  She looks over at wally eating a burrito and struggles to come up with an answer.

"Of it?" Artemis laughs, squeezing a small laugh out of me to. "Speaking of, Zee," She looks over at me. "Are you sure there is noting going on with you and Robin"

"Once again, and for the last time," I sigh, "Me and Robin, never will and never have been anything but friends, and if we're being candid, I pity anyone who will ever date him." I laugh. So many times I have people ask if we're dating, and its the same answer every time. Just then, Superboy slams Kaldur down onto the ground. 

"Failed. Aqualad."  The electronic voice speaks out from seemingly nowhere, I can't help but to laugh at him. Red Tornado, the robot that is our 'Den Mother', walks by. Wally runs up to him.

"Do you have a mission for us?" He pesters the overqualified babysitter.

"Mission assignments are the batman's responsibility." He responds in his monotone electronic voice.

"Yeah, well, Batman's off with the Robin, doing the dynamic-duo thing in Gotham." He talks back, not knowing when to stop. "But you're headed somewhere, right? Hot date? Or a mission? If so, we can be of help" 

"This is Kent Nelson, a friend." Red Tornado gives in, waving up a hologram of an elderly guy. "He is 106 years old." He says nonchalantly. "And he has been missing for 23 days" I cant help but to think maybe he just died, he's old and that's what old people do right? But this seems more important and maybe something bad is going on, this is my first mission with the team, i have to make it go well. "Kent was a charter member of the justice league society, the precursor to your mentors' justice league." Oh, so he was an important old guy. "Of course, Nelson was Earth's sorcerer supreme. He was Dr. Fate" Tornado Finishes. This Nelson guy is a very important to the justice league.

"Pfft," Wally chokes. "More like Dr. Fake. Guy knows advanced science and 'Dumbledore's' it up to scare bad guys and impress the babes" Wally retorts to himself.

"Kent may simply be out on one of his walk abouts, but he is the caretaker of the Helmet of Fate, the source of the doctors mystic might. It is unwise to leave such power unguarded." Red Tornado ignores Wallys rudeness.

"He's like the great sorcerer priests and priestesses of mars, I'd be honoured to help." M'Gann says in the most respectful manner.

"Me to." Wally jumps in. "So honoured I can barely stand it. Magic rocks." Wally tries to hard to impress M'gann sometimes. Red Tornado gives some sort of key to Kaldur and Artemis goes to disprove Wallys sudden change of heart but I cant help but to ignore their bickering about magic vs science or whatever. This is my first mission, I have to make it count and I have to prove myself and that my training has been paying off.

We arrive in the middle of nowhere, a few wrecked buildings around us an a giant field where the tower is supposed to be. Wally runs around the area, looking for something, anything really, that would tell us where the tower is.

"Nothing. This isn't simple camouflage, so what do you think?" Wally asks

"Adaptive micro-optoelectronics combined with phase-shifting?" Artemis replys with a bit of a smirk.