Lonely Hearts Club

Summary: where Jaehyun is aromantic and Taeyong, being cupid, tries to change that, only for Jaehyun to fall in love with him instead.

Word count: 900+
_____________________

Jaehyun, a man born on valentine's day is ironically the most aromantic guy that Taeyong has come across. Each year for the past four years, he wallows in his loneliness and displeasure on the world-renowned couple's holiday. Taeyong laments each time this day comes around, knowing his job as cupid is put to the test when reluctant singles seclude themselves away from all of the festivities. This year Jaehyun makes it unofficially on his list and he decides to put an end to Jaehyun's pessimism, once and for all.

He sets off in search for Jaehyun at a washed-up pub around the corner of his neighbourhood. Jaehyun is ever the broken record, seated at his usual spot, hand filled with his questionably favourite glass of tequila sunrise. When a couple walks in to be seated at the booth in front of him, Jaehyun's face displays a scowl.

This was nothing new to Taeyong, he has witnessed firsthand how unpleasant the humans facial features become in the presence of anything that involved couples or romance. This was in fact one of his milder moments.

Taeyong shakes his head, flapping his wings unseen from above. He decides to perch on a cabinet at the bar, inconspicuous in his miniature form, easily mistaken as a baby moth. "This human sure is boring, no wonder he doesn't have a romantic bone in his body." He sighs, chin nestled in the palm of his hand.

Hours pass and Jaehyun is down to his 4th glass. Taeyong takes a long yawn, lolling back on the bar counter among the strewn bottles and scattered snacks. He's wasted several hours hoping for a change to this year's events, unfortunately, they play out like a comic strip.

He pulls out an arrow from his quilt ready to put his day's work and the overdue misery to an end. He flies closer to the brown-haired man, seen slumped in his seat, an alcohol-induced blush tinting his cheeks.

An incoherent mumble utters from his lips, before the man says, "i hate today..mmmm..." his eyes still shut tight as he shifts in his seat and draws his jacket closer to his torso.

Ty moves closer to inspect his face, from the furrows in his brow to his pouty lips. He concludes that this Jaehyun fellow might actually be really handsome, so he would have no problem landing a relationship. Yet he still couldn't understand why he was alone.  "Mmm...worst birthday ever.." Taeyong hears him say coincidentally which makes his eyes widen in realization and the gears in his head turn. Could this be why he doesn't enjoy this day? He's lonely and it's his birthday? he thinks to himself.

"I guess it's time for you to be happy." He concludes. And though he knows happiness can also be achieved alone, the fastest way and only way in his power that he could help Jaehyun would be to make him fall in love. So he puts the arrow in the rest of his bow and aims it at Jaehyun's heart as he continues his stuporous slumber. 1,2,3...here we go and the arrow  pierces the male's chest.

He doesn't shift nor stir and ty almost feels his arrow had been wasted until Jaehyun's eyes widen suddenly and he stares blankly ahead.

Satisfied with himself, he begins to fly away, exiting through the door while a patron walks through it. He's about to take to the sky and transform into his life-sized form, until he notices a figure looming behind him, then a wing is snatched between pairs of fingers and he's made immobile.

"W-whats the meaning of this!!" He exclaims furiously, limbs thrashing about and soon he lands on his bottom and is facing the man he had just struck with an arrow. He's confused and petrified because Jaehyun is gazing directly at him when he should be unseeable. "You....can you see me?" He asks sheepishly and then his heart dips when the man replies with a curt nod of his head before a dopey grin appears.

This can't be happening, Taeyong panics in his mind, pacing left and right with his hands on top of his head, within the man's palm as his eyes dart about the place. He takes another glimpse at the human before him,  and decides to transform into his life-sized form and guide Jaehyun further away from the bar.

"So..hic...pretty..." Jaehyun slurs, while he's being led to a more dim section of the street.

Just his luck, Taeyong remarks to himself. The one time he decides to intervene on an unauthorized enchantment, he's the target of affection. He wonders if there's some way to reverse his own magic.

"Since when have you seen me?" He questions the man who keeps slumping back and forth. He's quite concerned that at any moment now, the mans legs would give out.

"Every valentine's day for the last three years." Jaehyun manages to say without pause.

"What?! How am i just finding out now!" He yells. He thinks back to three years ago to think if there were any defining factors back then.

"I don't know how but i felt your presence after three valentine's ago. I could feel you watching me at the back of my head somehow..." Jaehyun blinks, feeling himself slowly sobering up.

Perhaps it could've been Taeyong’s constant brooding and awareness of the man, or maybe his growing concern which caused him to allow himself to be seen by him. Whatever it was, he just knew he couldn't tell all the other gods about this. He'd be a laughing stock for centuries to come for sure. Especially by Hermes and Hephaestus, who always delight in his misfortunes.

He sighs but is swept up into a sudden embrace which he then tries to pry himself away from but fails miserably and lets his arms dangle in defeat.

He somehow became a valentine to someone involuntarily. And despite his protests, his tired heart warms briefly at the idea, before he yields completely & releases another drawn-out exhale.

"My cupid." Jaehyun whispers softly, dimples forming in his cheeks as his arms tighten around the cupid.

_____________________

This was a late valentine's day drabble I posted on twitter for Jaehyun's birthday. Thank you for reading!