Chapter 5: That's What Friends Are For

Note: this is part 2 of my rewrite of 6x15 and some of what I think the aftermath might have looked like. I haven't written the next part yet, but I hope to have another update within the week.

Liam

He hated the deal Scott had taken—in exchange for leaving the station safely with the last of Satomi's pack, Scott had agreed that the McCall pack would leave Beacon Hills. He couldn't stop thinking back on the moment that Jiang and Tierney had turned around to thank Scott and the rest of them before getting in the FBI van. He couldn't shake the feeling taking root in his gut that something was off about it. That sending them off with the FBI hadn't been the right move, but Scott trusted his father, so Liam had to trust him, too.

After establishing a plan, Theo drove Liam home—where his mom and stepdad were waiting in the living room.

"Where the hell have you been?" his mother demanded.

It'd been a long day, but it was about to get longer. He should've told them a long time ago what he was, but he'd been too afraid of what they might think of him. But things were different now. He'd considered sneaking out after they were asleep and leaving a note, but he couldn't do that to them. The least he could do was give them an explanation.

"We've been worried sick about you," his step-dad said, eyes flicking to Theo briefly. "First, you ditch school, and then you don't show up until almost 1 in the morning. What is going on with you?"

"I'm really sorry," Liam said. "I shouldn't have skipped school, and I should've been home sooner, but I promise I have a really good explanation."

His step-dad shrugged. "Oh, I can't wait to hear this."

"Remember the kids that died in the hit and run the other night?" Liam asked, going straight for the gut punch. Their expressions sobered, but they nodded. "It wasn't an accident. They were murdered... hunted because they were different."

"Different how?" his mom asked.

Liam took a deep breath, not sure he'd ever be ready to say the next words, but knowing that he had to. Distantly, he sensed Theo stepping closer. "They were werewolves. Like me. And Scott, and Malia." Technically Malia was a were-coyote, but Liam didn't feel like specifics were going to help his cause here.

They laughed. "Werewolves," his step dad said in disbelief. "You expect us to believe you're a werewolf?"

Liam chewed his lip. He was going to have to show them. This was the part he'd been dreading most. He didn't want to risk changing and losing control, especially after everything that'd happened today. If it hadn't been for that creature that caused fear digging under his skin all day, he would've done it without a second thought.

"Would it help if you saw one of us change?" Theo asked at Liam's shoulder.

"You?" his step asked. "You're one of them too?"

"Sort of," Theo whispered, and then he was shifting, his clothes left in a pile beneath a black wolf. Liam's mom shrieked, and his step dad flung out a protective arm, pulling her away from the wolf.

In wolf form, Theo stretched and eyed Liam with his glowing, golden eyes. He brushed against his parents' legs and padded into the kitchen gracefully before shifting back. The island covered the important bits, but Liam still couldn't help the blush that crept up his cheeks as he tossed Theo his pants.

An hour passed by the time his parents had calmed down. It took a good bit of explaining about the pack and that Liam couldn't fully transform the way Theo could. When they finally accepted it, Liam explained about the hunters and why they had to leave.