Chapter 20: Part 1 - Denial

A/N: Please be warned that this chapter and the next contain a lot of graphic detail and descriptions of violence. Also, sorry in advance for the cliffhanger. I'll try to post the next update in a few days to not leave you all hanging for too long.

Liam

Pain seared through Liam, and it was all he could do to cling to Theo's hand and the sound of his voice.

"Breathe, baby," Theo coaxed. "You can take it."

Liam gasped as the pain deepened and his vision blurred from the intensity of it. Theo had promised that pleasure would follow, but it still hadn't.

"Get a room, you too," Isaac snarked from his designated spot at Liam's feet, gripping his ankles while Scott pinned his shoulders. Theo released a low snarl in his direction.

"Just a little more, Little Wolf," Theo whispered, leaning forward until his forehead brushed against Liam's.

He grit his teeth and forced his body to stay in its human form—he could feel his inner wolf, fully prepared to protect him at a moment's notice.

"How much longer, Derek?" Theo asked.

Another wave of agonizing pain slammed through Liam. Stars exploded in his vision, merging together until his vision was nearly encapsulated in darkness.

"Almost done," Derek called. The dull roar of the blowtorch in his hand never lessened. The blue flames seared the black inky lines of Liam's tattoo into his skin. "Keep him still!"

"We're trying," Isaac snapped. "Do you not understand how strong this kid is?"

Liam felt anything but strong at this moment. He could hardly draw breath and his spine had locked up. If it weren't for Theo's vice grip on his hand tethering him to this plane of existence, he would've thought he'd died.

"Done," Derek called as the lighter clicked off and the agony retreated.

Liam panted, filling his lungs with air the best he could. The pressure at his ankles and his shoulders vanished as Scott and Isaac released him. His skin at his wrist still burned, but the tattoo was a brilliant contrast against his pale skin.

You did it, love, Theo said through that mental door as he brushed the sweaty hair away from his eyes and pressed cool lips to Liam's forehead. I'm so proud of you.

When the world had righted itself again, Liam sat up and tugged Theo's shirt open ever so slightly. There, right above his heart, was the twin to Liam's tattoo. The skin was still puckered and angry, but Liam brought his wrist up beside Theo's heart, aligning the inked runic symbol for everlasting partnership.

Now there would be no mistaking who either of them belonged to.

Theo must've been thinking the same thing because his green eyes flicked to Liam's and held. Pure passion reflected back in them.

"How does it look?" Scott asked, coming to his side.

Tearing his gaze away from Theo, Liam offered his wrist to his alpha.

"Perfect," Liam said. "That hurt like a bitch though."

"You did great," Derek said. "Tattoos hurt like hell, especially your first one."

Liam flopped back onto the medical table with a whine. "That was literally the most painful thing I've ever experienced," Liam droned on.

Theo hoisted him back up into a sitting position. "All right, my little drama queen. It wasn't that bad. It was sort of relaxing after a while."