Chapter 12: Breaking Point

Notes: Thank you all so much for the love this has received! Over 500 views and ranked 4th in rewrites? I'm so grateful.

This chapter is a bit of a monster length wise, but I couldn't find a natural breaking point in the middle. I also wanted to give a heads up that we're close to the end now. I'm expecting one more chapter and an epilogue, possibly a bit more. If there's anything specific that you'd die to see from these boys, drop it in the comments below or you can message me here or email me at a.written.simulacra@gmail.com. I also added my social media in my bio here in case anyone wants to see more of the writing process. I love you all and please trust me to bring this home.

Theo

"You just had to stop for coffee," Liam groaned.

"I'm gonna need it for this pack meeting," Theo said. "Trust me, if alcohol had any effect on me, I would've spiked it."

Theo was already half finished with his extra-large coffee, and for all Liam's complaining, he didn't seem to mind the latte he'd gotten him.

At the hospital, the entire pack had crammed themselves into Lydia's room, but as soon as they got closer, Scott left, shutting the door behind him, and approaching Theo.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?" Scott asked.

Theo shrugged. "You already are, so what's up?"

Scott glanced at Liam. "Alone?"

Liam's jaw immediately clenched, and as much as Theo loved the protectiveness, he didn't need it with Scott. He squeezed Liam's arm, silently telling him it was okay.

Theo barely caught a glimpse of Mason tugging Liam to the side, but before he could wonder what about, Scott said, "I'm sorry, Theo. I genuinely didn't know Kira would show up today, let alone with her sword." He covered his heart with his hand. "I swear, I'm not going to try and send you back to hell."

"Doesn't really matter if the sword belongs to her, now does it?" Theo asked, trying to ignore Kira's prying eyes inside Lydia's room.

"You're both pack allies," Scott said. "Neither of you is hurting the other."

After a long moment, Theo asked, "Why?"

Scott's brows drew together. "Why what? Why are you both pack—"

"Why apologize to me at all," Theo said, shoving his non-coffee bearing hand into his pocket. "After everything, I wouldn't blame you for sending me back to hell. I'd be pissed about it, but..."

Scott tipped his head toward his beta. "You know why."

When Theo shrugged, feigning innocence, Scott shifted closer to Theo. "Liam's my responsibility. I don't want to see him get hurt, so just be careful, all right?"

Theo's mouth was suddenly dry.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Scott was usually so level headed that when his eyes flashed red for a fraction of a second, Theo steeled himself.

"Yeah, you do," Scott said with a deep authority in his voice that some animalistic part of Theo wanted to bend to. "If Liam gets hurt because of you, I'm going to make your life so miserable that you'll wish you were in hell again."

As quickly as it had come, Scott's eyes returned to normal, and he patted Theo on the shoulder before rejoining the pack. Theo chugged the rest of his coffee before following him.

Liam

Theo shut the door behind them, leaning his back against it, and the chatter quieted. Liam casually positioned himself between Theo and Kira. Whether or not she was armed, Liam couldn't shake the protective instinct.