Chapter 9 - Heart Beats

Notes: I'm so sorry for the longer wait on this, but hopefully this chapter delivered. Also, did adapt some Season 1 lore to make this scene work? Yes, yes I did.

Liam

Scott's house was carnage. When the gunshots finally stopped, Liam's blood roared in his ears. Theo was limp in his arms. He was still breathing, but his pulse was weak. Normal bullets wouldn't have done this. They must've been laced with something. But—Theo was immune to wolfsbane. The Dread Doctors had made sure of that.

Liam wanted to bolt out that door and tear the head off the hunters that had done this, that had devastated his pack in under 60 seconds. But when he looked at Scott, his world tilted. He was slumped to the side, revealing the holes peppering his back, and breathing heavy.

"Liam," Scott whispered, his eyes flashing red. "Call 911. Get Deaton."

He couldn't breathe. This couldn't be happening.

Corey was the first to move. His arm was bleeding, but he seemed all right otherwise. Maybe since he was part chameleon, the wolfsbane hadn't affected him. His fingers were pressed against Mason's leg, staunching the bleeding.

It was the sight of his best friend's face that had Liam shifting Theo's weight so that the chimera's head was resting in his lap and fishing out his phone. He dialed 911 and quickly rattled off the address and stating that 4 people had been shot. Melissa was the only one at the hospital who knew about the supernatural, and the hospital sure as hell didn't have a way of treating wolfsbane poisoning. They'd have to get the pack out of here before the paramedics showed up.

"—we're dispatching a crew, but I need you to stay on the line with me," the operator said, but Liam hung up and started to dial Deaton.

Something slammed in the kitchen, and Liam startled—Isaac was on his feet, clutching his side and rooting around in the kitchen.

"Isaac?" he called.

"We need fire," he said. "Where does Scott keep his lighters?"

"And tourniquets!" Corey pipped up.

As much as Liam wanted to fall apart, as much as he wanted to let himself feel the turmoil of emotions, he had to step up. With Scott hurt, Liam had to be the alpha. The lasting remnants of the shock dissipated and adrenaline surged through Liam's body.

He set Theo gently on the ground and jumped into action.

"Under the kitchen sink," he told Isaac. Then he took his outer shirt off and ripped it into strips. He handed one to Corey, who secured it around Mason's thigh. Then he moved to Scott's mother. Argent was sitting up, sucking air in through his teeth and assessing Melissa's injuries.

"Liam, I'm gonna need your help," Isaac said. "I can't do it myself."

Corey took the strips of fabric from him. "I've got them, you go."

Isaac bit down on a wooden spoon as Liam pressed the lighter to the first bullet hole in his back. His hissing scream sent chills down Liam's spine.

"Should I stop?" he asked.

"Keep going," Isaac panted, spitting the wooden spoon onto the counter. "Better get used to it. We have to burn the wolfsbane out of every bullet hole. Just be glad we don't need the specific strain of it to stop the poison."

Liam forced his hand to stop shaking and repeated the process on Isaac's three other wounds. By the time they'd finished, Malia was up and pressing her fingers to Lydia's shoulder. Black lines snaked their way up her arms.

"Did someone call for help?" she asked, eyes blazing.

"The ambulance is on their way," Liam told her. "Switch with Isaac. You good, Malia?"