Epilogue

A/N: Please note that this chapter contains smut. If that's not your thing, please skip Liam's second POV.

A/N: Suggested song pairing: Hunger by Ross Copperman

Four Years Later

Theo

Ducking beneath the slashing claws, Theo leapt back and kept his arms raised defensively as the feral girl advanced. Her fangs were bared and her claws whistled through the warm afternoon air.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said calmly over her snarling. "I'm here to help."

Another slash.

"Samantha, just breathe," Theo coaxed. At her name, the girl hesitated, and her wild, shining yellow eyes fixated on his face.

"How do you know my name?!" she hissed.

"I'm Theo, a private investigator, and your parents sent me," he said patiently even though he'd already told her this when he first found her ten minutes ago hiding behind a dumpster. "They're really worried about you."

Samantha's chest heaved. Her hair was tangled and lopped short on one side almost like she'd tried to chop it with her claws. Dirt and grime stained her skin and the too-large T-shirt hung from her thin frame. From her scent alone, he knew the girl hadn't seen a shower in the month since she'd run away from home. Probably hadn't had a decent meal, either.

"And it looks like you could use some help."

"You don't know anything about me!" she screamed.

"Your favorite animal is the red panda, you're failing math even though it's your favorite subject, and you love mountain climbing. A few months ago, you snuck out with your friends to drink in the woods, but that night, you were bitten."

She shook her head fiercely, and Theo admired her instinct to deny being bitten. That was the kind of instinct that would keep her alive—probably had over the past few weeks. As soon as Theo called on his chimera eyes, shining in the shadowy alley way, her protests faded.

Fire still brimmed behind her glowing eyes, but Theo knew he had her.

"I might not know you, but a few years ago, I was exactly where you are now," he said gently. Her hands fell to her sides. "Will you let me help you?"

The girl nodded. "How do I...?" she motioned to her claws.

"Take a couple deep breaths for me, all right?" he said. She closed her eyes and obeyed, inhaling unsteadily. "You remind me of someone I love very deeply. They get angry when they're scared, too."

"I'm not scared!" she demanded, her eyes flashing open.

Theo chuckled and carefully placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I hear you," he said. "I know your senses are probably overwhelmed with everything you can hear and smell and see, but I want you to pick one thing and focus in on that, all right?"

Her nose scrunched as she tried, but her next exhale was exasperated. "Like what?"

Theo pointed to his chest. "Can you focus on the sound of my heart beating? Hear its steady rhythm?" Samantha focused and a minute later, her eyes faded and her fangs and claws retracted.

Relief was visible on her features, and she slumped against the brick wall in the alley.

"What now?"

"Now, I take you back to your parents," Theo told her.

Her heartrate skyrocketed. "No! You can't!"

"Listen to me, kid," Theo said, crouching down in front of her. "I know you think you can survive out here on your own, but you can't. You need your family. Your friends. Trust me, you don't want to be an omega."