II

Anya's POV: 

I don't want to go back to the orphanage. 

I bury my head in my hands. I'm locked in my room. Maybe I'll stay here forever so that chichi can't abandon me.

There's a knock on the door. Based on the person's thoughts, it's chichi. "Anya?" He says, "Are you in there?"

"Don't come in!" I warn him. "Don't come in, ever!"

I can hear chichi sigh. "We've got peanuts!" He tries. Too bad. I have a secret stash of peanuts under my bed.

Another knock. Another. Suddenly, the wooden door splinters and cracks into two, revealing hahoya with her heels steaming.

"Hahaoya? What the hell?" I ask. I know she's really good at fighting, but destroying the apartment building? She's going to have to pay for that.

"Sorry." Chichi says, picking up a piece of wood and wincing as a splinter gets caught on his finger. "You weren't coming out, so I had to ask Mama."

"Yep!" Hahaoya says enthusiastically like always. "Wasn't I amazing?"

"What do you want?" I ask, eyeing the pile of wood that was my now non-existent door. Teenagers. Chichi thinks.

"There's something we need to tell you." He says. I already know what it is, but to keep my secret, I slowly get out of bed, dreading the announcement.

When we get to the living room, chichi brings us a bowl of peanuts. We all sit down, and I know what he's going to say next.

"I'm a spy." He blurts. Wow, that was...very straightforward. I'd always expected him to ditch me and hahaoya and leave a note or something. There. I said it. Now you understand exactly why I have to leave.

"And I'm an assassin." Hahaoya says, looking down. Psh. Tell me something I don't know. But of course, I'm not giving myself away.

I blink, and gasp for good measure. "What?!" I shout. "Why didn't you tell me?" Chichi's face stays emotionless, as does hahaoya's.

"Anya." He starts, reaching out to pet Bond who came by to see what was going on. "You've never been a good liar. I'm a trained spy." I knew that, too. At least he doesn't know what my secret is.

I look at Bond, silently begging him to give me a glimpse of the future. He turns his head in denial. Okay then. Eventually it's going to happen.

"The reason I was so happy this afternoon was...because...well..." Here it comes. "I've been using you. You were part of my mission to get close to Damian's father, and now that peace is preserved, well...I have no use for you anymore."

Suddenly, I start crying. I know he doesn't want this, but I love chichi and I don't want him leaving me. He gives me a pitying look, and I swear he's about to cry too.

"Why do you think I volunteered? Why do you think my favorite show is Spy Wars? Why do you think I wanted to go to school? Why do you think I even cooperated?" I shout, tears spilling out of my eyes uncontrollably.

My parents-I don't know if they want to be my parents anymore-look at me piteously.

She thinks I want this. Chichi thinks. 

No, I don't.

"And another thing." Hahaoya reluctantly speaks up. Great, now she's abandoning me, too.

"Just leave!" I shout. "I don't care anymore!" My parents both sigh, and get up to leave.

What did I just do?

[Gah, sorry this is so angsty. This doesn't even have Damian in it! Trust me, this is all leading to the climax, so just wait. 

But for now, just raise your hand if you cried! 🙋(I did) Don't worry, I'll pay for all of your tissues with...another chapter! It's coming soon, just be patient.]