5. Three Goals

She didn't realize she had become afraid of the dark until she woke from a nightmare. She dreamed of the nights when soldiers would ride her, partly because of lust and partly because the notion of riding someone that had come from the nobility enticed them.

Ariadne sat on her bed and wiped the beads of sweat on her forehead.

"It's all true," she said to no one as the corners of her eyes started to burn. She hugged herself as the memory of those touches flooded her. Even if those things had happened in her old body, the feeling of their calloused hands still lingered on this new one.

Slowly, the feeling of being miserable turned into rage. Ariadne looked up and watched as the night changed into twilight. She felt an ounce of hope as she looked at the grand scenery before her. From that hope, Ariadne built her determination. This time she would not allow the same events to happen in this lifetime.

Ariadne left her room and walked towards the palace library. The light was already growing brighter outside, but the corridors in the palace were still dark and silent.

The library was located in the western part of the palace. It was a private library only available to the duke and his vassals. Since their house was a vassal to the Duke of Atolia, she could use it. In her previous lifetime, she only used that privilege once she started reviewing for the Imperial University Entrance Exam.

She snatched a paper from the stacks and borrowed herself a pen. Right now, she needed to list down things she must change to alter the course of events that would happen in the future—to save herself, the duke, and Atolia.

The first one that she wrote was the priority among all others. It was to save the duke from his death. She already knew that this body belonged to her when she was 10 years old, so it meant that the duke and her would die fifteen years from now. To others, it would seem like a long time... but it isn't.

"Looking into it, I think branding the two of us as evil is not entirely wrong... back even before the war began, His Grace was already feared by most members of the nobility."

Looking at the first goal on the list, she wondered where it all began. When did the duke develop that intimidating and aloof presence that he had?

She wrote the second one: save herself, and the third: save Atolia. For now, these were the three most important things she must prevent from happening at all costs.

"But this thing would start unraveling twelve years from now," Ariadne said. She repeatedly tapped the tip of her pen on the table. For now, I must find out why His Grace developed that personality. When does he start having that animosity around him that made the nobility turn their back on him that easily?

"We already checked the rooms in the eastern palace," a voice sounded outside the library.

Ariadne turned at the doorway. It seemed there was a commotion happening outside.

The maid peeked at the library, her eyes roaming over the tall bookshelves and long tables before her gaze fell on what she was looking for—the butler's daughter.

"Lady! What are you doing here! The master butler is worriedly sick looking for you!" She exclaimed.

She rose abruptly from sitting and folded the paper before the maid could even notice it. I just angered father again!

"Where is he?"

The maid sighed in relief. "He might be checking the rooms... my lady, may I ask why you decided to leave your room?"

She stared at the maid. Why does she speak so commonly to me?

"I'll explain everything to father. I'm sorry that you have to do this."

The maid shook her head. "That's all right, my lady. I am your personal maid, and I am responsible for looking after you."

When the girl said she was her personal maid, Ariadne gathered her thoughts to remind herself of her identity. She stopped in her tracks. Why didn't I notice it earlier? Is it because I have not seen her face for so long?

Arrisa Pinal was Ariadne's maid until she turned sixteen years old. She died in the Spiderbane Plague... which includes his father and the current Duke of Atolia, Osriel's father. Ariadne froze from where she stood and stared in horror at her maid. Then she would die six years from now, not just her, but also most of the servants in the palace.

"My lady, is there a problem?" Arissa asked.

Ariadne shook and dropped her head as she walked beside her. At that moment, she remembered a distant memory; she stood behind Osriel as he stared before the tombstone of the late duke, his father. After two days, it would become her turn to stand before Astram's monument while the duke silently waited from the back with his umbrella. Osriel put his hand on her shoulder and smiled, "there's only the two of us left now."

It was the last time he saw him smile. After the plague was controlled, Osriel rose to become House Atolia's new head, his relatives tried to suggest regency, but he refused their request. Osriel's stubbornness had made his rule difficult and filled with trials and controversy.

Ariadne raised her head and saw the relief that crossed her father's face. This is one of the few catalysts that I remember why the duke changed. This time I will prevent this from happening; I will not just prevent the duke from dying but also my father.